birding-aus

Mornington Peninsula National Park dog walking review

To: 'Christine Melrose' <>
Subject: Mornington Peninsula National Park dog walking review
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 09:39:20 +1100
I think the difference here is that the park is 30 or 40km of ocean beaches,
separated by regular headlands. A ranger can't just stand in the middle and see
all the dogs, so it's easy for people to visit regularly and never be
challenged.

Others could explain the situation with more accuracy (I've rarely been there),
but I'm under the impression that because dogs are allowed in some places and
at certain times, it's easy for owners to claim they didn't understand the
signs. The fact that the signs are regularly removed or damaged makes it
difficult to enforce the rules. If there was one simple rule - no dogs - it
would be easier to enforce it.

I believe the current rules were introduced about 15 years ago, and it would
appear that numerous attempts to get dog owners to comply have failed over and
over. Time for a change? It must be very frustrating for those owners who do
comply, and might lose access because of the others. I think I read that non
compliance is around 80%?

Given that dog owners vote and there are a lot of them, I can't see a complete
ban happening, but surely at least some beaches could be protected.

Peter Shute