birding-aus

Emerald Dove RFI: Pacific or Common?

To: "'Carl Weber'" <>, <>
Subject: Emerald Dove RFI: Pacific or Common?
From: "Carl Weber" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 14:13:00 +1100
Hi Birders,

On 2.11.12 I wrote that there appear to be some inconsistencies in the
naming of Common and Pacific Emerald Dove. I now accept that the naming is
at least internally consistent. My thanks to Mick Roderick, Alastair Smith
and Dave Torr for providing helpful information that enabled me to better
understand the split.

My new understanding is that Pacific Emerald Dove (Chalcophaps longirostris)
occurs throughout mainland Australia, and includes emerald doves from the
eastern seaboard, Torres Strait, Lord Howe Island, Norfolk Island, the Top
End and the Kimberley.  Common Emerald Dove  (Chalcophaps indica) occurs on
Christmas Island, and presumably elsewhere outside Australia to the west and
north.

I am perhaps surprised by the location of this split, in that in appearance
the Top End and Kimberley emerald dove would appear to have more in common
with the Christmas Island species than with the east coast species. Also,
the name Pacific Emerald Dove is a little misleading, in that the species
can be also found on the Indian Ocean coast. Admittedly, there are already
many worse examples of inapt naming than this. Ours is not to reason why!

No armchair tick here for those of us moving to the IOC listing. One has to
go to Christmas Island to take advantage of the split.

Carl Weber