birding-aus

RFI: Comparison of Olympus digital recorders

To: Ian May <>
Subject: RFI: Comparison of Olympus digital recorders
From: Tim Hosking <>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 01:46:09 +0000
Hi Ian,

We use the DM-550s here for remote frog monitoring.

I've found they work best with a small external microphone (~$50e) rather than
the unit's microphone itself. I'd also recommend a very good set of
rechargeable batteries (Eneloop or similar) as the units can really chew the
juice depending on the recording quality and recording length involved.

The only problem we've ran into when using them as a remote monitoring unit is
that the date/time sometimes needs resetting after a battery change (esp when
they go flat). They have some great options onboard and are otherwise great
little gadgets.

Cheers Tim

Tim Hosking | Wetlands Conservation Officer | Office of Environment and
Heritage
PO BOX 2111, 48-52 Wingewarra Street DUBBO NSW 2830 | Ph: (02) 6883 5329 | Fax:
(02) 6884 8675 | Mob: 0438 600 837 |