birding-aus

RFI: Comparison of Olympus digital recorders

To: 'Ian May' <>, "" <>
Subject: RFI: Comparison of Olympus digital recorders
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:13:41 +1100
I'd give the DM-550 a try before looking at other models. It might be ok,
depending on what quality you want, but I see that it has voice activation and
noise cancelling. These are desirable features for dictation, but unless they
can be turned off I think they'll mess up your recordings.

Bird calls might not be loud enough to trigger the voice activation, and the
noise cancellation might consider them to be background noise that it should
filter out.

Peter Shute