birding-aus

channel billed cuckoo sighting

To: "" <>
Subject: channel billed cuckoo sighting
From: "Kane, Brian" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:42:48 +0000
Hi there,

Over the last two days in Broome I have seen two quite large birds flying
overhead with a loud squawking noise.  This morning the two birds were chased
by crows and so rose very high into the sky to avoid them.  The dominant colour
was white underneath their outstretched wings and tail.  I have been in Broome
a long time and was immediately alerted to something out the ordinary but I
have not seen the birds with the aid of binoculars.  I suspect they are
Channel-billed cuckoos.  They have seen in the surrounding area over the years,
but this could be a rare sighting for the Broome township.

Thanks,

Brian Kane, Broome