birding-aus

birding-aus Digest, Vol 78, Issue 41

To: Clare Stapleton <>, "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Digest, Vol 78, Issue 41
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 18:57:52 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Clare,

Possible itinerary (this is the minimum time to spend, you can easily double
the time at each location - especially if you want to focus on photography):
1 day Royal National Park (just outside Sydney) - rain forest, wet sclerophyll
forest, heath, sea cliffs (Superb Lyrebird, Satin Bowerbird, Southern Emu-wren,
Tawny-crowned Honeyeater, Beautiful Firetail, Rockwarbler)
1 day Barren Grounds and Minamurra (150 km south of Sydney) - BG: heath (best
place for Pilotbird, Eastern Bristlebird, Southern Emu-wren, Chestnut-rumped
Heath-wren, Beautiful Firetail, Ground Parrot and possibly Gang-gang Cockatoo,
Echidna); Minamurra: rain forest (best place for Superb Lyrebird, also Green
Catbird and possibly Logrunner - the latter two you will see at O'Reilly's)
1 day Blue Mountains (100km west of Sydney) - Evan's Lookout is the best place
for Rockwarbler, the area is also good for Crescent Honeyeater and Gang-gang
Cockatoo.
2 days Capertee Valley plus Lithgow sewage ponds and Lake Wallace (150 km NW of
Evan's Lookout - to be combined with the Blue Mountains trip) - best
landbirding in the Sydney area (plus four kangaroo/wallaby species, Common
Wombat, Platypus...)
2 days Barrington Tops/Gloucester Tops (300 km north of Sydney) - great
subtropical rainforest birding (Paradise Riflebird, Rufous Scrubbird, and a
number of "Queensland species", Greater Glider is common). Probably not so
interesting for you since you are going to O'Reilly's anyway.

There are heaps of other places such as the Hawkesbury area (60 km W of Sydney,
for marsh birds), East side of Wollemi NP (for Spotted Quail-thrush), Hunter
Valley for a good number of good landbirds and wine!).

You may want to book more pelagics in the area besides Port Stephens to
increase the species: Wollongong (SOSSA), Sydney (Hal Epstein), Southport (Paul
Walbridge).

I am sure you will get more ideas from other Birding-Aus people.

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW