birding-aus

Missing Red Goshawk.BINGO!

To: Peter Madvig <>, milton smith <>, Birding Aus <>
Subject: Missing Red Goshawk.BINGO!
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:46:45 +0930
Hello Sherri
 When I was there only a few weeks ago one of the proprietors of the caravan
park opposite told me that the people who lived on the property where the
Red Goshawk nested had been quite amenable to birders.   When my group and I
were looking for the bird a man drove out of the property, and there was
absolutely no indication of hostility.  The proprietor said that often the
owners on seeing birders hanging around, would let them in.  However, aware
of what a nuisance regular birders must be I asked my group to move on after
a few minutes as Bruce Richardson will attest.

Peter is right when he states that many birders are well-educated.
IHowever, the issue here, as Peter points out, is the attitude of the owners
of the said property.   It seems to have hardened quite drastically and
quickly.   Perhaps the property has changed hands, but there were no signs
it was for sale.  I suspect, having seen similar reactions before, that the
owners may have just tired of the behaviour of some birders.

Regards
Denise
Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street,
Bakewell, NT 0832
043 8650 835

PhD candidate, SCU
Vice-chair, Wildlife Tourism Australia
Nominated for the Condé Nast international ecotourism award, 2004 by the
renowned American website, Earthfoot.
Wildlife Adviser, BBC¹s ?Deadly 60¹

Birds of Australia's Top End and Quiet Snake Dreaming available on
amazon.com
A second edition of Fauna of Australia¹s Top End used by the University of
NSW as a text for 12 years is now under preparation.

'It gave me huge insight into the lives' of Aboriginal Australians¹,
 Jonathon Franzen, American author, birder, conservationist (August, 2011)
on Quiet Snake Dreaming.

The best guide in Darwin is Denise Goodfellow. Bo Beolens, the Fat Birder

www.denisegoodfellow.com