birding-aus

Ash Island Access?

To: "'Peter Ewin'" <>, "'? birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Ash Island Access?
From: "Alan Stuart" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:29:28 +1000
Peter et al

Access to Ash Island has been OK for well over a year now. I was out there a
week ago and there weren't many birds around - but as we all know, just
about anything can turn up there and this is a good time of the year to
check it out. We're all on the lookout for the 1000+ Red Knots that usually
call in at Ash Island for half a day, on migration passage to elsewhere.

If you go to the HBOC website (www.hboc.org.au) there is a Birding Route
brochure about Ash Island and also some for other lower Hunter Valley
locations. There isn't yet one about any Upper Hunter locations,
unfortunately. Goulburn River NP, between Merriwa and Wollar, is a good
place to visit in the Upper Hunter. And there are plenty of Rockwarblers in
Wollemi NP, accessible from the Wollombi side of the NP.

Alan Stuart