birding-aus

Australia's Stupidest Bird?

To: <>, <>, <>
Subject: Australia's Stupidest Bird?
From: <>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 15:53:27 +1000
Those are definitely not real bright. I've thought a lot about dim birds,
because I live on an island where there are literally thousands of curlews (ie
bush thick-knees). I love them dearly, but I've maintained for a long time,
that with eyes that big, in a head that small, there can't be a lot of room for
cognitive excellence.

Anyway a good mate of mine, maintains that curlews aren't stupid, because they
aren't trashing the world, causing wars, etc, etc. All true enough, but we had
an ongoing good-natured argument anyway. One day he admits, sheepishly, that
curlews "may be a bit dim". This is what convinced him: his pair of curlews
courted, mated, establshed a nest and generally acted like careful
parents-to-be. They started incubating ... 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks (I
advised that they're overdue), 6 weeks, 7 ... 3 months went by. One morning,
he's on the veranda, and sees the off-duty partner come in clucking - classic
change-over behaviour, so he watches carefully. The incubating bird stands up,
affording a brief glimpse of ... a piece of coral! Not a nice round, eroded
brain coral mind you, a three-branched, bleached Acropora (your classic
staghorn). He lifted the curlew and threw the coral away in disgust, at which
point the birds seemed to sigh with relief and immediately stopped being
  clucky.

Fine. Perhaps they were just learning. This year, they started brooding. 2
weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks. My mate intervened and lifted the curlew to see what
was going on - one warm Burdekin plum! I suspect it'll be a discarded Rubick's
cube next year.

Eric