birding-aus

Feedback on Hooded Parrots

To: "" <>
Subject: Feedback on Hooded Parrots
From: Savannah Hardy <>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 00:10:45 -0700 (PDT)
A big THANKYOU to all the people that responded to my quest to find the Hooded
Parrots in Pine Creek N.T
I'm happy to report that i viewed 40+ Hooded Parrots yesterday morning from
6am-7am at the mining camp dirt/gravel carpark opposite the railway museum. The
carpark borders the footy field. I was able to observe them for the whole hour
until they flew off into bush near the carpark...They were in the small trees
in the carpark, and on the small triangular grassed area which is on the right
as you drive into the mining carpark. They were landing on powerlines and on
street signs also...Also observed two on the footy field itself...
Was a big highlight of the year to observe this many in one spot and watch
their behaviour and how they interact with each other....
They were also in this same spot the evening before...i watched them settle
down for the night in the trees....
Many hooded parrot feathers were under these trees, which i don't think got
there just from that night and morning of me seeing them....they must frequent
there a fair bit...

Thankyou once again for all the handy tips
Kirri