birding-aus

Trip report

To: "birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Trip report
From: Peter Morgan <>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 18:45:28 +1000
We are doing a bit of a wander through western NSW.  Some of the highlights for
us:
Brown-headed Honeyeaters and Spotted Quail-thrush near the Sculptures camping
area near Baradine;
Black-eared Cuckoo (lifer) at Macquarie Marshes in a list of 78 that included
our first pair of Crimson Chats for the trip;
Gundabooka NP near Bourke was full of Red-capped Robins and Splendid Wrens,
with Southern Whiteface;
Travelling down the eastern track from Bourke along the Darling River, a huge
flock of Pied Honeyeaters (previously reported - is it common for them to
gather like this?) 25 km north of Tilpa, then a Grey Falcon, herding some very
panicky Galahs at the  Wilga campground in the Paroo-Darling National Park.
Just south of Wilcannia we collected 4 Brolgas, a couple of Australian
Shovellers and 2 Australian Shelducks. Later in the day we were delighted to
see some Chestnut-crowned Babblers
A glimpse of what looked like a Chirruping Wedgebill while travelling yesterday
might have been a possibility, as two have been heard today - one coming from
the north with 30km to go to Menindee (together with our first Orange Chats for
24 years) and one at the Woolshed in Kinchega NP.  They seem a bit out of
range??
Brown and Rufous Songlarks have been common.  The Black-eared Cuckoo, after all
these years, has been heard in several places. A pair of Horsfields Bronze
Cuckoos were being harassed by a couple of White-winged Wrens today - not that
they seemed to be making much of an impact.

Peter and Bev Morgan