birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 24 Sep 2012 01:31:32 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 23 Sep 2012.

Sun 23 Sep Pallid Cuckoo Cranebourne Street - Riverstone (approx. 10km NW of Blacktown CBD)
Saw a Pallid Cuckoo beside Cranebourne Street in Riverstone (where I have had them before and where I saw my previous BCHE in Riverstone). Also present here was a White-throated Gerygone and Olive-backed Oriole which have arrived in good numbers around the Blacktown area.
Edwin Vella

Black-chinned Honeyeater Knudsen Reserve - Riverstone (approx. 10km NW of Blacktown CBD)
This morning I saw 92 species of birds in Riverstone (incredible diversity for such a small area!!!) where I was surprised to hear then see a Black-chinned Honeyeater foraging for quite some time in a eucalypt beside Eastern Creek in Knudsen Reserve. This is only the second time in a few years I have seen BCHE in Riverstone! Also seen were Crested Shrike-tits (quite a number of pairs around Riverstone), Golden and Rufous Whistlers and Eastern Yellow Robins. Great to see that these rare honeyeaters are still turning up in Sydney.
Edwin Vella

South Polar Skua SOSSA Pelagic trip off Wollongong
Single bird followed boat out, then again on the return trip. Came in very close for great views. Identification confirmed by Lindsay Smith. At least two Brown Skuas and over four Wandering Albatross also seen (from juvenile to adult plumage). [Moderator's note (NH): Congratulations to this great bird! South Polar Skua will require a submission to BARC]
Michael Rutkowski

Australian Pied Oystercatcher Leichhardt
An Australian Pied Oystercatcher called above our house at 6:45pm.
Nikolas Haass

Topknot Pigeon, Bassian Thrush, Lewin's Rail, Black-faced Monarch Warriewood Wetlands/Irrawong Reserve
Flock of 8-12 Topknot Pigeons feeding on Cabbage Tree Palm fruit at end of Irrawong Close; 2 Bassian Thrush at the far (big waterfall) end of reserve; Lewin's Rail heard calling several times from raised boardwalk. 2 Nankeen Night-Heron at Warriewood Wetlands. Eastern Whipbirds very active this morning throughout; heard 2 Black-faced Monarchs; other migrants seen/heard included Sacred Kingfisher, Australian Koels, Channel-billed Cuckoos. No sign of the Noisy Pitta.
Tom Wilson

Superb Lyrebird, Sacred Kingfisher Irrawong/Warriewood
Very close views of this beautiful bird at the small waterfall whilst looking for the Noisy Pitta, sadly no views.All the usual stuff plus a Sacred Kingfisher
chris pollard

Channel-billed Cuckoo submissions August/September 2012 NSW
Except for Stephen Ambrose's July sighting all other sightings of CBCs listed below are in accordance with the typical arrival dates of CBC in the region. We decided not to publish any further in-season CBC sightings (except for unusual observations). 18/07: Ryde, Stephen Ambrose (this one was the only early one!); 31/08: Annandale, Simon Gorta; 01/09: Wangi Wangi, Steve Roderick; 02/09: Beacon Hill, Robert Griffin; 03/09: Bateau Bay, Alan Morris; 05/09: Bilgola Plateau, Alan McBride; 06/09: Penrith, Akos Lumnitzer; 08/09: Castlereagh, Akos Lumnitzer; 09/09: Surry Hills, Penny Evans; 13/09: Ulladulla, Bob Rusk; 14/09: Turramurra, Tom Wilson; 16/09: Penrith, Akos Lumnitzer; 19/09: Pymble, Margaret Hall; 19/09: Oatlands, Tony Dawe (attached photo); 20/09: Kogarah, Harry Roberts; 22/09: Pennant Hills, Cameron Galle.
Moderator Nikolas Haass for multiple observers (Photo: Tony Dawe)

Sat 22 Sep Grey-headed Albatross SOSSA Pelagic trip off Wollongong
The highlight of today's SOSSA Pelagic trip off Wollongong was a juvenile Grey-headed Albatross. Also of note were both White-fronted and Common Terns. Very interesting were swarming krill causing large red patches on the ocean surface. The full report will be uploaded to the SOSSA website soon.
Nikolas Haass for all on the Sandra K

White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike Windsor (approx. 55km NW of Sdyney CBD)
At the Windsor Terrace Hotel car park, we had a White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike amongst a group of Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike. Also a couple of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos flying over.
Edwin Vella et al

Banded Lapwing, Rainbow Bee-eater Cornwallis (approx. 55km NW of Sydney CBD)
Banded Lapwings, Rainbow Bee-eaters, both present along Cornwallis Rd
Edwin Vella et al

Stubble Quail, Brown Quail, Rufous Songlark Richmond (approx. 55 km NW of Sydney CBD)
Richmond we had Stubble and Brown Quail and lots of Rufous Songlarks.
Edwin Vella et al

Pallid Cuckoo, Pink-eared Duck, Red-kneed Dotterel Pitt Town (approx 55km NW of Sydney CBD)
At Pitt Town I saw my first Pallid Cuckoo for the season and at Pitt town Lagoon, we had 5 Pink-eared Ducks quite obliging, a few Red-kneed Dotterels etc.
Edwin Vella et al

Swamp Harrier Wolli Creek Reserve, Earlwood
Swamp Harrier (1) Spotted briefly in flight. Harassed by Pied Currawongs and other birds before leaving the area. Excuse the poor quality photograph.
Greg McLachlan

Gang-Gang Cockatoo, Southern Emu-wren, Beautiful Firetail Barren Grounds
A pair of Gang-Gang Cockatoos, Southern Emu-wren, a pair of Beautiful Firetails. Also Fan-tailed Cuckoos. [Moderator's note (NH): All three species in the headline are expected "specialties" at Barren Grounds.]
Mark & Rosemary Menegazzo

Nutmeg Mannikin Mason Park Homebush
Group of about 8 Nutmeg Mannikins on the grass and in the trees at the rear of the sporting field.
Rosie & Allan Pidgeon

Dollarbird Sawtell
First Dollarbirds here late this afternoon, with two birds cackling their way over the suburb. The first Koels were heard here 20 Sep.
Peter Higgins

Buff rumped Thornbill, Fan tailed Cuckoo, Brown Goshawk Woodlands and Riverside, 20km West of Moree
Rufous Songlarks were extremely numerous! Their calls were nearly everywhere! Also seen were: Numerous Red-winged Parrots, A Black fronted Dotterel, 3 Hardheads and Eurasian Coot in unusual habitat (although there were large flocks elsewhere), Fan-tailed Cuckoo!!!, A White-faced Heron, Magpie and Pied Butcherbird already nesting in a few close trees, Sacred Kingfishers are summer/spring migrants, Its only September and they are nearly everywhere, A pair of Brown Goshawks chasing after a pair of Red-winged Parrots, Buff-rumped!! & Yellow Thornbills together, Several small flocks of Spoonbills and Night Herons resting in the River Red Gums, Torresian Crow, Brown Treecreeper, and large flocks of Plum-headed Finches.
Curtis Hayne

Fri 21 Sep Turquoise Parrot Borah TSR Reserve, Manilla , NSW
8 Turquoise Parrots (2 males) feeding on the ground near the creek in the Borah TSR reserve (Barraba Bird route o 9).
Roger and Ros Stonehouse

Straw-necked Ibis Werai (between Moss Vale and Exeter)
85 birds in paddock by Mt Broughton Rd. The biggest number I've seen in the Southern Highlands in 2 years.
Lorne Johnson

White-browed Woodswallow and Masked Woodswallow Woodlands south of Kurri Kurri, Hunter Valley
250+ White-browed and Masked Woodswallows came into roost this arvo in the woodland, first seen over my backyard at Weston at 430pm. Counted 22 Masked amongst the flocks. Has become a regular event in late September in this area.
Steve Roderick

Ruddy Turnstone Near Wollongong at Woonona on the rock shelf in front of the swimming pool
Four Ruddy Turnstones feeding along the rock shelf while six Crested Terns were stationary on the shelf.
Greg Smith

Black Bittern Fishermans Paradise / approx 10 km nth of Milton
A Black Bittern has been seen at the creek running past Fishermans Paradise to Lake Conjola by a reliable birdo. While paddling her canoe up the creek she has seen it briefly a couple times but last week had good views confirming her first tentative identification.
Leslie Redacliffe via Bob Rusk

White-headed Pigeon Powderworks Rd Ingleside
Male browsing near road.
Jacqui Marlow

Thu 20 Sep Little Lorikeet Castle Hill
Seen with mixed flock of other lorikeets feeding in a Lemon-scented Gum that is present in the front yard of a private property. Property located in Cecil Avenue, opposite Greenup Park.
Deryk Engel and Stephen Bloomfield

Thu 20 Sep Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, White-throated Gerygone, White-necked Heron Thirlmere Lakes
Amongst the usual species, we had songs of White-throated Gerygone from trees along shoreline, White-necked Heron foraging with Great Egret, and calls from a Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, seen also last week.
Bruce Roubin and Ken Gilmour

White-throated Gerygone, Jacky Winter, Common Bronzewing Wilton Recreational Park
At least 6 White-throated Gerygone foraging and singing in isolated trees in picnic area. 3 pairs of Common Bronzewing flushed from native vegetation garden. Jacky Winter singing from perch on power lines.
Bruce Roubin and Ken Gilmour

Lewin's Rail, Baillon's Crake, Spotless Crake and Eastern Rosella Eastlakes Golf Course
A good afternoon : 1 Lewin's Rail (excellent views), 1 Buff-banded Rail, 1 Baillon's Crake and 1 Spotless Crake all seen. 4 Latham's Snipe, 1 Black-fronted Dotterel, 2 Black-winged Stilts,1 Brown Quail, 1 Black-shouldered Kite, 2 Red-rumped Parrots and 1 Eastern Rosella were also present. Although Lewin's Rails are resident here, I only see them a couple of times a year.
David Mitford

Black-faced Monarch, Gang-gang Cockatoo Kulnura
One Black-faced Monarch sighted while walking along a dirt road. Also seen a male and two female Gang-gang Cockatoos.
Andrew Melville

Leaden Flycatcher, Scarlet Honeyeater, Rainbow Bee-eater Wauchope township
Fist Leaden Flycatcher this season, near the river. First noticed at this site for over seven years. Scarlet Honeyeaters very common in flowering Callistemons lately. Rainbow Bee-eaters excavating the riverbank for nesting sites.
Ian Kerr

Dollarbird, Rufous Whistler, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater Freemans Hill, Munmorah State Conservation area
Freemans Hill is one of my atlassing sites in Munmorah SCA, it is an area of low coastal heath and today there were signs of spring in the air with Fan-tailed Cuckoos, Rufous Whistlers and Dusky Woodswallows calling, a pair of Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters were acting like there was a nest nearby, a male Brown Goshawk flew over, and a lone Dollarbird was perched on a dead tree.
Alan Morris

Australian Magpie Epping
Came across this different magpie in a private garden.
Tony Dawe

Wed 19 Sep Cattle Egret Douglas Park
13 birds by the Hume Highway mid-afternoon.
Lorne Johnson

Scarlet Honeyeater, Leaden Flycatcher Upper Bullawa Creek, Mt. Kaputar NP, Narrabri 2390
Following up on a bird call ID during a bird-watching camp last weekend, we have now obtained photographic evidence of the presence of Scarlet Honeyeaters at Mt. Kaputar NP, 40 km north-east of Narrabri. The birds were feeding on flowers of box gums and in mistletoe in the gum trees. At the same time a female Leaden Flycatcher (the first of the season) was spotted in one of the gum trees.
Michael Dahlem & R. Druce

Tue 18 Sep Painted Honeyeater Munmurra and Goulburn River National Park
Painted Honeyeaters (at least one pair) seen on private property at Munmurra, adjacent to Goulburn River National Park. Also heard Painted Honeyeaters in other nearby areas along the Goulburn River.
Carl Corden and Aleksei Atkin

Red Knot Flatrock outcrop Ballina
Two Red Knots observed foraging across the ocean side rocks at dusk. One bird still showing red coloration through chest plumage. Also present were good numbers of Ruddys, Greater Sand Plovers, Red-necked Stints and a bunch of terns. No noddys present again!!!!
Brendan Cook

Buff-banded Rail Royal National Park (Bonnie Vale Campground)
Flushed one Buff-banded Rail whilst looking for Nankeen Night Herons with my daughter.
Deryk Engel and Millie Engel

Mon 17 Sep Spotted Harrier and Wedge-tailed Eagle Penrith Quarries (private property)
Spotted Harrier was circling low over corner of Castlereagh Road and Olive Lane (public land here) at 13:30. About an hour later both of the presumed resident wedgies were soaring over the river near the quarries. Male and female. Pair of the nesting White-bellied Sea Eagles were also active near nest site.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Black-faced Monarch Settlement Point, Port Macquarie
A single bird foraging in small fig tree.
Clive Meadows & Tuukka Pahtamaa

Little Lorikeet Narellan
2 LLs late morning in the grounds of Magdalene Catholic High School, where I work. The first LLs I've seen in nearly 3 years of working there.
Lorne Johnson

Pallid Cuckoo Western Sydney Parklands, Rooty Hill Precinct, cnr Great Wesern Hwy,M7 cycle path
Cycling home after finishing work at 5am this morning, I was surprised to hear my first Pallid Cuckoo of the season among the early starters. Unfortunately it was calling from an area of the parklands soon to become a 'business hub'.
Mark Fuller

Sun 16 Sep Black-necked Stork, Black Falcon, Painted Honeyeater, Yarrie Lake, SW Narrabri
a 3 hour visit to Yarrie Lake, particularly in the vicinty of the wetlands near the entrance of the creek that flows into the lake, revealed the following highlights: Immature Black-necked Stork (presumably the one previously reported near Wee Waa), a Black Falcon, 2 Painted Honeyeaters, 40+ Nankeen Night-herons, 2 White-bellied Cuckoo-shrikes, nesting Little Friarbirds, nesting Whistling Kite, 1 Wedge-tailed Eagle, Grey-crowned Babblers, an early pair of Sacred Kingfishers, White-browed Woodswallows and , Olive-backed Orioles..
Alan morris, Michael Dahlem (photo), & 23 members of CCGBNSW

Magpie Goose, Latham's snipe, Buff-banded Rail Narrabri Lake, Narrabri
Narrabri Lake is full and White Ibis have started to nest in trees on an island in the Lake. Also present were up to 24 Magpie Geese, a small flock of 4 Chestnut-breasted Mannikins, single Latham's Snipe and Buff-banded Rails seen around the edge of the wetland, 34 Black Kites were spiralling over the Lake, a Hobby, Black-shouldered Kite and Whistling Kite were present, Tawny Frogmouth and Crested Pigeon also nesting, and Striped, Spiny-cheeked and Brown Honeyeaters were also seen. 55 species counted in 40 minutes!
Alan Morris, Michael Dahlem - photo & 23 members CGCBNSW

Painted Honeyeater, Spotted Harrier, Red-capped Robin, Pallid Cuckoo, Tawny Grassbird Rangira Creek, Boggabri Road, Manilla
Single Painted Honeyeater feeding in flowering mistletoe in Myall (Acacia pendulosa). Also present a Spotted Harrier, pair of Red-capped Robins, a calling Pallid Cuckoo and a Tawny Grassbird in the long grass by the road side.
Tim Morris

Curlew Sandpiper Harrington
3 birds on a sandbar off the Harrington breakwater - I have very few previous records of them at Harrington.
Alan Stuart

Spectacled Monarch, Noisy Pitta Harrington Rainforest
I heard at least 3 Spectacled Monarchs in Harrington Rainforest on Sunday morning, also a Noisy Pitta.
Alan Stuart

Black Falcon Baan Baa
Pair of Black Falcon on Kamilaroi Highway approximately 5km north of Baan Baa
Tim Morris

Hooded Robin, Diamond Firetail Nangar National Park

Lorand Szucs

Superb Parrot, Turquoise Parrot, Little Friarbird Back Yamma S.F.
Great spring day with unusually great numbers of Little Friarbirds, White-browed and Masked Woodswallows in good numbers too.
Lorand Szucs

Latham's Snipe, Comb-crested Jacana King Creek Swamp, Wauchope
A single bird was flushed from long grass at the water's edge. Other species present were a Comb-crested Jacana and a Masked Lapwing with 3 chicks.
Clive Meadows & Louise Earnshaw

Black-shouldered Kite, Brown Goshawk Wolli Creek Reserve, Earlwood
Black-shouldered Kite (2) Turrella Reserve. Brown Goshawk (1) Turrella Reserve.
Greg McLachlan

Wedge-tailed Eagle On m4 just past m7 overpass.
Wedge-tailed Eagle spotted flying eastbound on m4.
Karen Hill

Australian Koel Port Macquarie
First this season. Near Flynn's Beach 6am. [Moderator's note (NH): This and the previous two sightings of an Australian Koel are in accordance with the typical arrival dates of this species in the region. We decided not to publish any further in-season Australian Koel sightings (except for unusual observations)]
Ian Kerr

Sat 15 Sep Black Falcon, Red-necked Avocet, Ground Cuckoo-shrike, Spotted Crake Wee Waa STW Evaporation ponds (private property)
A visit was made to the Wee Waa STW Evaporation Ponds 1030-1130 am which are located on private propertry although part can can be seen from the Wee Waa- Merah North Road Highlights were a flock of 120 Red-necked Avocets, which on two occasions were flushed and then harassed by a Black Falcon; 4 Red-kneed Dotterels, 10 Australian Shovellers and many Pink-eared Ducks, 2 lots of Grey Teal ducklings, 1 Australian Spotted Crake, 2 Ground Cuckoo-shrike, 1 Brown Goshawk, 1 Little Eagle, Rufous Songlarks, nesting Zebra Finches, Black Kites, Red-winged Parrots and Tree Martins.
Alan morris, Michael Dahlem (photo), & 22 members CCGBNSW

Red-whiskered Bulbul Burrumbuttock
A minimum of six adults have been in residence within the town for the last year or so, frequently calling from prominent perches in the school yard and nearby gardens. Call is loud and very distinctive, recalling a reed warbler. (Moderators Note: This is a very interesting record, there are no previous records for the South-west Slopes Region. AKM)
David M Watson

Spectacled Monarch, Wompoo Fruit-Dove Saltwater NP
I found a single Spectacled Monarch at Saltwater NP, calling at about noon. Also in the general area was a Wompoo Fruit-Dove and a pair of Green Catbirds, two non coloured Regent Bowerbirds and some nest-building Yellow-throated Scrubwrens.
Alan Stuart

Australian Koel Cambridge Gardens, near Penrith
It's just turned 18:00 and I am listening to the neighbourhood Australian Koel call for the first time this spring. It normally "annoys" the neighbour across the road from me. [Moderator's note (NH): This and yesterday's sighting of an Australian Koel are in accordance with the typical arrival dates of this species in the region]
Ákos Lumnitzer

Fri 14 Sep Sacred Kingfisher Dunbogan
First sighting this year in area of hasting mid- north coast for me. [Moderator's note (NH): This sighting of a Sacred Kingfisher is in accordance with the typical arrival dates of this species in the region. We decided not to publish any further in-season Sacred Kingfisher sightings (except for unusual observations)]
Darin Rounsevell

Thu 13 Sep Painted Honeyeater, Brown Treecreeper, Black-chinned Honeyeater Trapyard Dam, Merriwindi SCA Kennebri near Baradine
Two calling Painted Honeyeaters were heard and seen as soon as we exited the vehicles at this known site for this species. Also present were Black-chinned (2), Spiny-cheeked, White-plumed, Brown-headed & White-eared Honeyeaters, as well as Noisy and Little Friarbirds, and Dusky Woodswallows all feeding in flowering Pilliga Box. A pair of Brown Treecreepers were also seen.
Alan Morris & Michael Dahlem (photo)

Pacific Baza, Rufous Songlark, Little Lorikeet Tinmallallee National Park (formerly Wittenbra SF) near Bugaldie
A single adult Pacific Baza was seen at this area of box-pine woodland at the edge of farming country. Bazas are very rare in this Region (Central West Slopes). Other birds present included Little Lorikeets feeding in flowering White Box, 2 Rufous Songlarks, Little and Noisy Friarbirds (the latter nesting), White-eared Honeyeaters and Striped Honeyeaters.
Alan Morris

Wed 12 Sep Pacific Baza (2) Wahroonga, 90 Fox Valley Rd, near the vacant block
2 Pacific Bazas were seen for about 1 hour. Observed catching food from the foliage.
Stephen Aveling-Rowe

Red-necked Avocet, Red-necked Stint Lake Goran East, on the Curlewis - Spring Ridge road.
A half hour spent at the Lake on the shallow eastern side of the Curlewis-Spring Ridge road, currently under water, found c.5000 Red-necked Avocet, 10,000 Grey Teal, 6000 Pink-eared Duck, 5 Red-necked Stint (the only migratory wader), 10 Australian Shoveler, 80 Whiskered Tern, 60 Black-winged stilt, 20 Royal Spoonbill, 30 Yellow-billed Spoonbill, 500 Pelicans and both Rufous and Brown Songlarks, many Australian Pipits, in addition to the usual other waterbirds,
Alan & Anne Morris

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.