birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
Date: 17 Sep 2012 01:31:24 +1000

Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 16 Sep 2012.

Sun 16 Sep Australian Logrunner, Bassian Thrush, Green Catbird Ourimbah-Palmdale Approx 70 kms North of Sydney CBD
Whilst birding at Ourimbah today a male Logrunner flew across the front of our car also saw 10 BassianThrush 4 Green catbirds
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

Red-kneed Dotterel The Lagoon, south of Bathurst
One individual at the southern end of the lagoon, amongst the rush tussocks. Three Black-fronted Dotterels nearby. Also on (or near) the water: Great Cormorant, Australasian Grebe, Pacific Black Duck, Grey Teal, Australasian Shoveler, Hardhead, Wood Duck, Black Swan (one on nest), White-necked Heron, White-faced Heron, Australian White Ibis, Eurasian Coot, Purple Swamphen, Black-winged Stilt, Masked Lapwing, Welcome Swallow and Golden-headed Cisticola.
Tiffany Mason

Swift Parrot Estella, Wagga Wagga
6+ Swift Parrots heard calling and seen feeding in flowering eucalypts in Matheson Place and adjacent Manneke Park . Birds were calling frequently and seemed to be mainly feeding on nectar.
Joseph Birckhead

Spectacled Monarch North Chrismas Bell Plains, Port Macquarie
First for me this season, just south of the golf course in mixed forest.
Ian Kerr

Sat 15 Sep Brown Songlarks, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Crakes, Skylarks, Pink-eared Ducks Riverstone (private property) - approx 10km NW of Blacktown CBD
2 male Brown Songlarks seen together beside some ponds where 15 Hoary-headed and 20 Australasian Grebes, 2 Australasian Shoveler, 2 Pink-eared Ducks, 3 each of Baillons's and Spotless Crakes, a lone Sharp-tailed Sandpiper amongst 32 Black-winged Stilts were seen. We also had 6 species of raptor (one each of Swamp Harrier, Brown Goshawk, Whistling Kite, Black-shouldered Kite, Brown Falcon and Australian Kestrel seen), 3 Skylarks and also heard Horsfield's Bronze-cuckoo. Along the creek saw 2 colonies of nesting Little Pied Cormorants. One colony had 4 pairs nesting together with one nesting pair of Darter all in the same tree. A bit further down stream another nesting colony of 7 pairs of LPC's with another nesting pair of Darters.
Edwin Vella and Tony Dawe

Southern Emu-wren montane peat swamp near Penrose ( Southern Highlands,NSW)
a pair (male and female) sitting above the sedges in a leptospermum shrub out in mid swamp. The land is owned by Forests NSW.
John Shepherd

Grey Goshawk, Black-shouldered Kite, White-headed Pigeon Flockhart Park, Sydney
Saw White-headed Pigeon on wires along the Cooks River. Grey Goshawk flew along powerlines and the pigeon flew away. The Grey Goshawk then circled over cricket pitch and flew off to the north. Black-shouldered Kite flew over field briefly, circled and was gone, also to the north.
Simon Gorta

Black-fronted Dotterel, White-winged Triller, Nutmeg Mannikin, Chestnut-breasted Mannikin Wolli Creek Reserve, Earlwood
Followed up on a recent report of a pair of Black-fronted Dotterel nesting in the Reserve. The nest site is roped off and signed - 'control dogs'. Disturbingly I arrived to find a bloke reclined within the roped off area reading a book. I politely suggested it wasn't a good idea to be within the nesting area. The response was 'I thought only dogs were a problem'. He did move. White-winged Triller (1) Turella Reserve (photo attached). Nutmeg Mannikin (8) Reed beds at bottom of Turella Reserve (photo attached). Chestnut-breasted Mannikin (2) Reed beds at bottom of Turella Reserve. Good views of the pair unfortunately no photo thanks to a NH Honeyeater.
Greg McLachlan

Wedge-tailed Eagles Cranebrook
Both adults of the local pair were sunning themselves on the decorative dead tree trunks on the west side of the large lake where Cranebrook Road meets Castlereagh Rd. They were duly harassed by Magpie-larks and a lone Black-shouldered Kite. Both eagles were around for over one hour.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Fri 14 Sep Marbled Frogmouth, Sooty Owl, Albert's Lyrebird, Rufous Scrub-bird and Masked Owl Border Ranges NP - Forest Tops
Marbled Frogmouth and Sooty Owl were both seen from the road about 1km below the Forest Tops campground. Albert's Lyrebird were heard from several locations around the Forest Tops loop drive, and seen on the Helmholtzia Loop trail. 2 Rufous Scrub-birds were heard on this trail. Masked Owl was heard from Sheepstation Creek campground.
Nick Leseberg

Little Egret, Royal Spoonbill, Nankeen Night Heron, Bar-tailed Godwit, Sharp-tailed Sandpiper Waterbird Refuge, Bicentennial Park, Sydney
About 60 Bar-tailed Godwits, 13 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 12 Red-necked Avocets, 70 Black-winged Stilts, 8 Black-fronted Dotterels, 1 Nankeen Night Heron (hidden in mangroves close to ship wreck), 1 Little Egret and 3 Royal Spoonbills feeding amongst ducks, gulls and pelicans. Also around a bunch of Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes.
Falk Wicker

Australian Koel Annandale, Sydney
Male heard and seen
Nikolas Haass

Spotted Harrier and Wedge-tailed Eagle Penrith Quarries (private property)
This morning a Spotted Harrier was observed by my friend Jackie Flower near Church Lane. The harrier was carrying a Purple Swamphen in its talons. One adult Wedge-tailed Eagle was hunting in the same area at 16:00 this afternoon.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Australasian Figbird North Richmond
A regular visitor to our garden over the last few weeks. It means that in the Figbird version of "How The West Was Won", the pioneers have now made it safely across the Big River, after being harassed all the way by hostile tribes of (Red) Indian Mynahs. Also, Eastern Whipbird happily splashing in our birdbath, holding up a queue of bell miners and orioles. Not a rare bird, but not a common garden bird either.
David Potter

Superb Parrot North edge of Cowra ref; -33.802687,148.695188
Four females and one male feeding in lemon scented gums (in flower) at around 8:30am. Flight of around a dozen birds (mainly male) circling vicinity around 9:00 to 9:30am. Single male about five minutes later looking a bit lost.
Andy Luckett

White-necked Heron Maroubra beach
In the small wetland at the south end of Maroubra beach, just inside the rifle range. Unusual for this site.
Hazel Watson

Thu 13 Sep Wedge-tailed Eagle Picton
2 Wedge-tailed Eagles sitting on power lines opposite Allied Mills being harassed by an Australian Raven.
Joe Stammers

nesting Hooded Plovers Kingspoint Ulladulla
A pair of Hooded Plovers have paired off and nesting on a small local beach.
Bob Rusk

Wed 12 Sep Eastern Curlew, Caspian Tern, Royal Spoonbill Woronora River near Como
6 Eastern Curlew, 1 Caspian Tern, 1 Royal Spoonbill, 1 Great Egret, 2 Little Egret, 3 Australasian Darter, 1 White-bellied Sea-Eagle, 2 Brown Goshawk, 46 species in total
Nikolas Haass, Raja Stephenson & Adrian Binns

Peregrine Falcons Balmain
All the Noisy Miners went into alarm so I was outside just in time to see a pair of Peregrine Falcons in a low-angled stoop over College St park.
Robert Griffin

Hoary-headed Grebe Lake Illawarra Berkely
The Illawarra Bird Observers Club on the midweek walk led by Ted Simpson and 19 members sighted, what we thought were Australiasian Grebe,a fair distance from the lake foreshore but when I arrived I checked the picks and yes the Hoary-headed and I thionk it has been many many years since the last time they were sighted on Lake Illawarra. I did go back over and managed a few closer picks just to confirm the sighting...lucky they had moved in closer -- 2 lots one lot of 7 and another lot of 11 .
Charles Dove -

Tue 11 Sep White-bellied Sea-Eagle GEORGES RIVER GLENFIELD NSW
2 White-bellied Sea-Eagles FLYING UP RIVER LANDED IN DEAD TREE CALLING MOBBED BY 4 Australian Magpies FLEW OFF UP RIVER CALLING .
MALCOLM DANIELS

Giant-Petrel (sp.) Tacking Point, Port Macquarie
A Giant-Petrel (sp.) was feeding on a Gannet(?) carcass in the water below the lighthouse this afternoon until scared off by a White-bellied Sea-Eagle.
Tim Morris

Rufous Songlark Lawson Blue Mountains
Outside landscaping supplies at the end of Ridge St Lawson. A very uncommon species for the Blue Mountains and the first I've ever seen here.
Mark Ley

White-necked Heron Warriewood Wetlands
16 species recorded from the site including a White-necked Heron which is rarely reported from this wetland.
Paddy de Klerk

Spotted Harrier and Satin Bowerbird Cranebrook
My luck had finally turned this morning, after eight months of trying to get a decent photo of this beautiful raptor that I have been seeing at Penrith Lakes (and quarries). There is a possibility of more than one bird, but this crossed over Castlereagh Road in exactly the same spot from where I've reported it about a month ago. It flew along Nepean Street over the small swamp there and ended up perching and preening in someone's backyard in Camelot Drive. I drove around the back and was able to observe from the ideal angle with the sun behind me and waited for it to be flushed by the many annoyed resident Noisy Miners and other small birds. I have also noted a female (or young) Satin Bowerbird here. A species that is becoming more common on this side of the Nepean River. Larger image: http://amatteroflight.com/gallery2/d/7504-1/Spotted-Harrier_AGL2044.jpg
Ákos Lumnitzer

Mon 10 Sep White-headed Pigeon, Bassian Thrush, Feather-tailed Glider Kurrajong Hills
Single White-headed Pigeon feeding with Common Bronzewings. Bassian Thrush carrying food (insects) to nest - breeding record. Southward migration of Yellow-faced (many) and White-naped Honeyeaters (a few) continuing. First Rufous Whistlers of the season. One Brown Goshawk. Also Feather-tailed Glider calling on night of 9 Sep.
Eric Finley

White-fronted Tern Long Reef Marine Reserve
One adult bird in brilliant breeding plumage and at least 15 immature birds roosting on the main rock platform and/or feeding nearby at sea (between 10 and 11.30 in the morning, incoming tide).
Jürgen Lehnert

Rose Robin Bundanoon
One bird heard at home early this morning; the last visit from a RR was two months ago. Wonga Pigeon, Little Ravens, Satin Bowerbirds, Yellow-faced Honeyeaters and small flock of Rainbow Lorikeets also around.
Lorne Johnson

Sun 9 Sep Superb Lyrebird 105 Wallalong Crescent, West Pymble
Our backyard is bushland and backs onto Lane Cove National Park. The bird, a female, was observed at 5.30 p.m. looking at our pond. This may be the first sighting for the Lane Cove Valley
Noela Margaret Jones

Topknot Pigeon Marrickville
14 birds flying south over Livingstone Road, first time I can recall seeing this species in the inner city. Some Livistona palms fruiting in city parks may be bringing them in.
Eric Finley

Wompoo Fruit-Dove, Regent Bowerbird, Tawny Grassbird Treachery Camp, Seal Rocks
Three Wompoo Fruit-Doves on the headland walk. Female Regent Bowerbird also present and in the heath on the headland there were Tawny Grassbirds and both New Holland Honeyeaters and White-cheeked Honeyeaters. Possible White-fronted Terns were also offshore feeding with massive flocks of Fluttering Shearwaters.
Tim Morris

Eurasian Skylark Riverstone
Saw 3 Eurasian Skylarks on private property at Riverstone
Tony & Stephanie Dawe

Sat 8 Sep Rainbow Bee-eaters Penrith Quarries (Private property)
I can definitely confirm that several individuals have returned to their summer haunts. I have seen at least four birds over the course of Sunday morning and late afternoon.
Ákos Lumnitzer

Fri 7 Sep Black Kite 7 Mile Beach Lennox Head
The first Black Kite I've seen here. At approx 8am one bird seen clearly circling above the dunes before disappearing inland. From what I've read and heard this seems a rare sighting near the coast.
Jo Wieneke

Thu 6 Sep Rose Robin Quarry Creek, Lane Cove National Park, West Pymble
Male observed calling in vegetation above creek. I have been told that there is only one other sighting in Lane Cove Valley, i.e. Field of Mars Reserve
Noela Jones

Wed 5 Sep Pheasant Coucal Cliff top walk S of Dee Why Baths.
At approx 8.30am I was on my way back to the car after watching the nesting Peregrine Falcon, when this Pheasant Coucal appeared directly in front of me, whilst I fumbled to fire up the camera which I just turned off and replaced the lens cap, as I raised the camera to my eye ....it flew.
David Simpson

Tue 28 Aug Spotted Harrier Dairy Swamp, Central Coast Wetlands, Tuggerah
An immature Spotted Harrier was seen and photographed at the Dairy Swamp, Central Coast Wetlands, Tuggerah by volunteer landcare worker Pam Mundey. This is the first Spotted Harrier recorded on the Central Coast since 2005, which was also seen at the Dairy Swamp.
John Derwin, photographer Pam Mundey, per Alan Morris

Birdline NSW is sponsored by Birding NSW, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT and Cumberland Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.