birding-aus

Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Western Australia Weekly Update
Date: 24 Sep 2012 01:32:28 +1000

Birdline Western Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 23 Sep 2012.

Sun 23 Sep Striated Grasswren (whitei) Newman, Western Australia
Sue and I observed a single Striated Grasswren (whitei) to the right of the Pistol Club on a spinifex covered slope. Just bounced in for a look and bounced off again, a beautiful bird. Haven't looked behind hut N60 yet!!
John and Sue O'Malley

Sat 22 Sep Brown quail Hamelin Homestead Hamelin Pool WA, Western Australia
3-4 adult birds with 3-4 young about 1/3 adult size. Hard to know exactly how many as the group scattered when disturbed. Excellent views as adult birds were reluctant to leave the young which were hiding under bushes. Appear to be wll out of normal range
Rob Gully

Sarus Crane Maggie Creek, Wyndham-East Kimberley, Western Australia
2 Sarus Crane.
Kerrie Cowie via Sue Abbotts per WA Recent Bird Sightings

Black-tailed Gull Cockburn Sound (Henderson), WA , Western Australia
Black-tailed Gull seen 4th September in Henderson, Cockburn Sound.
Per John Graf via birdswa

Thu 20 Sep Black-tailed Native Hen Roebuck Plains Station Broome , Western Australia
1 bird present in small gravel scrape on side of road approx 70km towards Derby from Broome. This species not seen every year in Broome
Adrian Boyle Chris Hassell George Swann

Broad-billed Sandpiper Roebuck Bay, Western Australia
Sue and I observed some several hundred waders at near high tide, in among Tattlers, Terek SP's, Curlew SP's, Knots, Stints etc was a couple of BB SP's. Very high tides at present.
John & Sue O'Malley

Wed 19 Sep Mangrove Golden Whistler Broome Foreshore near Matsos Pub, Western Australia
Sue and I observed a female MGW at Streeters Jetty along with Broad-billed FC and Mangrove Fantail, but just down the road at Matsos we observed a male MGW near the beach in Mangroves. Tide was going out
John and Sue O'Malley

Ruff Roebuck Plains Station, Western Australia
One with other waders on lake
Simon Davies

Tue 18 Sep White-breasted Whistler Derby Jetty, Western Australia
Sue and I observed a m and f WBW collecting nest material at the Derby Jetty. Also observed were one f Mangrove Golden W and Dusky Gerygones and one Mangrove Fantail. Nothing the evening before and plenty of birds next morning the tide was about 30 minutes into dropping.
John and Sue O'Malley

Wilson's Storm-Petrel Ningaloo Marine Park, Western Australia
Two Wilson's Storm-petrel seen at sea about 5 km offshore from Tantabiddi boat ramp. Numerous Wedge-tailed Shearwater also present.
Peter Valentine

Mon 17 Sep Yellow-nosed Albatross Ningaloo Marine Park, Western Australia
A juvenile present about 10 km off the coast in Ningaloo Marine Park, flying around the vessel and landing near to and eventually next to the boat.
Peter Valentine

Yellow Wagtail Broome Sewage Works, Western Australia
First returning bird, also 12 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 71 Pink-eared Ducks and 370 Whiskered Terns.
Simon Davies

Birdline Western Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.