birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 24 Sep 2012 01:30:37 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 23 Sep 2012.

Sun 23 Sep Black-winged Stilt Kellys Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetlands, Fyshwick
Black-winged Stilt (2) seen at Shoveler's Pond in the paddocks adjacent to the wetlands
Brendan Sheean

White-browed Woodswallow Macgregor
White-browed Woodswallow A flock of about 20 woodswallows flew over my house this morning at about 8.15. There were no Maskeds amongst the flock
Scott Ryan

Peaceful Dove Bibaringa, Cotter Road, Stromlo
Peaceful Dove (2) seen, 1 calling in a tree and the other feeding in a paddock.
Brendan Sheean

Thu 20 Sep Dusky Woodswallow Shepherds Lookout
A pair of Dusky Woodswallows flying around the lookout reserve
Roger Wiliiams

Tue 18 Sep White-bellied Sea-eagle Molonglo River adjacent to Gladstone St, Fyshwick
White-bellied Sea-eagle observed flying east along molonglo river whilst being harrassed by ravens at 14:00 today.
Darcy Ginty

Mon 17 Sep Eastern Barn Owl On the roof of 199 Mabo Blvd Bonner ACT
At 4.45pm, Kye and I spotted what we believe was a Eastern Barn Owl on the roof. After a bit of research the owl we saw had a distinctive white face with brown body. It was being harassed by 7 ravens, I clapped my hands to shoo the ravens away but the owl flew off as well - that ruined my chances of a photo. Kye followed the owl to a large tree in Forde, the neighboring suburb. [Moderator's comment: Whilst the bird was not conclusively identified by the observers, it seems on the balance of probabilities to have been a Barn Owl]
Kye and Karen Moggridge

Sun 16 Sep Rose Robin Point Hut
A COG group saw a male Rose Robin at the Point Hut picnic area.
Sandra Henderson + many others

Sat 15 Sep Rufous Songlark Mulligan's Flat Sanctuary
A furtive male Rufous Songlark was observed in the heart of Mulligan's Flat Sanctuary in long grass. Presumably a returning migrant, this species is rarely seen at Mulligan's Flat.
PJ Milburn

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.