birding-aus

Gouldians at Coomalie Creek N.T

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Gouldians at Coomalie Creek N.T
From: Niven <>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:00:55 +1000
Hi all
I'm very interested in any records of Gouldian Finch in or close to Darwin,
so if anyone knows of any reports, new or old, published or unpublished,
I'd love to hear.

John McKean didn't record them there, and HB Gill's observation of 20+ at
 Fogg Dam in September 1967 was the closest record to Darwin that Crawford
was able to find  (Emu 72:146).

There was a report of one carrying nesting material in Darwin, but  no
locality is available, and the only reference to a date was ?1969. Breeding
of wild Gouldians in Darwin seems unlikely, given the specific requirements
of tree cavities of a certain size and location, in appropriate habitat,
with a nearby food supply.

Another report mentions adults and juveniles in Fannie Bay in 1976. It
seems an extraordinary place for them, given that it's a near-city coastal
suburb. If there had been an irruption that year, the record may feasibly
be of wild birds, but given no other records for the years either side, it
seems more likely that the birds were aviary stock.

I had a record at Leanyer in 1998, likely an aviary bird. There were at
least a couple not far from Humpty Doo in May 2006.

And that's about it. So, clearly any records closer than Marrakai/Coomalie
are significant, and I'm keen to hear of any.

Cheers
Niven