birding-aus

mystery call

To: 'Marc Anderson' <>, Steve Davidson <>, "" <>
Subject: mystery call
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 12:51:09 +1000
I thought it was some sort of robin, and couldn't make out anything like a
Brush Cuckoo. It didn't seem powerful enough, but the impression one gets
listening to a recording is different to the impression you get when you're
there. If I was there and could tell it was distant, then it would seem more
powerful. You were there so I have to put more weight on your opinion about
that than mine.

However I thought it was more modulated than a Brush Cuckoo, i.e. trilled.

Have you compared the sonogram to those of any of the calls of Rose Robin and
Brush Cuckoo? It might also be worth cutting out all the bits between the
calls, to be sure people are listening to the right ones. I'm on a very slow
computer here and the play position marker wasn't keeping up, so I'm not
absolutely sure I was listening to the right bits.

Peter Shute