birding-aus

Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Northern Territory Weekly Update
Date: 3 Sep 2012 01:30:55 +1000

Birdline Northern Territory

Published sightings for the week ending 2 Sep 2012.

Sun 2 Sep Chestnut Rail Buffalo Creek
After waiting in the mangroves for 90 minutes the rail appeared on the other side of the river, feeding in the shadows. Good views for approx 30 seconds before it disappeared from view. Very poor photo attached
Kay Parkin

Thu 30 Aug Northern (Crested) Shriketit Central Arnhem Road
Sue and I went to the usual spot 8km in off the SH where we saw the bird two years ago, all to no avail at 7:45am., but later on at 11am two birds were happily feeding above the car! They were confiding and feeding in the tops of the larger trees gently calling to each other..why? why weren't you there?...great experience again.
John & Sue O'Malley

Wed 29 Aug Red Goshawk Mataranka
Female RG in a tall tree looking at us and looking very relaxed! No male in sight.
John & Sue O'Malley

Mon 27 Aug Grey and Black Falcon and heaps of other Raptors Barkly Homestead
Sue and I observed many different Raptors attacking flocks of Diamond Doves at the water hole back of the Homestead. Black F.; Brown F.; 3 different colour phases, Whistling K.; Black K.; Grey F.; Brown GH.; about 30 individuals, mostly of the Falcons (only one Grey spotted).
John & Sue O'Malley

Mon 20 Aug Black Honeyeater Sandover Highway 22 44S 133 49E 1' Cell
Black Honeyeater (1) Feeding on one of the yellow flowered shrubs, photos
Richard Waring

Fri 10 Aug Princess Parrot Sandy Blight Junction Road at 23 41 31S 129 00 36E
Princess Parrots flushed from side of road in Spinifex. The flock circled around and landed in nearly Desert Oaks. We did not disturb them apart from a count as they flew, as this was the 3rd sighting of Princess Parrots this morning. 4 Observers, weather clear and sunny. No photo.
Ivan and Sandra Reynolds

Princess Parrot Sandy Blight Junction Road at 23 41 45S 129 02 59E

Ivan and Sandra Reynolds

Princess Parrot Sandy Blight Junction Road at 23 41 45S 129 02 59E

Ivan and Sandra Reynolds

Thu 9 Aug Princess Parrot Sandy Blight Junction Road at 23 41 59S 129 05 03E

Ivan and Sandra Reynolds

Birdline Northern Territory is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.