birding-aus

Using call playback in bird watching and bird photography (photography i

Subject: Using call playback in bird watching and bird photography (photography illegal?)
From: Cheryl Ridge <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 19:24:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Bob and others

As a small scale photographer I consider my activities/impact/intentions to be
like those of a general tourist.

BUT keeping in mind some of my images MIGHT be sought for use at some stage I
like to know I am covered by the appropriate photography permits.

Especially when commercial can equal 'any financial gain', even $5
(yes to "you would be surprised").

I had to pull the plug on one of my images being used in a book one time. I was
NOT being paid but as the book itself was being SOLD it was considered
commercial use and the publisher would have received a nice fat invoice
instead. If I'd already had a 'commercial photography' permit I might have been
spared the drama. The interesting thing is at the time the fees would have been
higher than that of even a wedding photographer!

Some places, fortunately, are relaxing a bit with regard to small scale
photography.

With regard to National Parks and parks managed areas I know that Victoria and
NSW are now waiving their fees for the annual photography permits BUT still
require a permit.

When I attempted to renew my Qld permit this year was told that Commercial
Activity Permit is no longer required if it is only 1-2 people and they aren't
using structures.

I will include some links for those who are interested in knowing about the
permits/fees situation around the country for small scale photographers.

However I tend to seek clarification before I embark on a trip if I don't
already have a permit for the area (in case websites are not up to date).

QPWS Queensland Parks and Wildlife service -
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01439aa.pdf

NSW National Parks - requires an annual registration certificate
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/commercial/FormPhotography.htm

Parks Victoria - eg Annual Landscape Photography Licence
Parks Vic has removed the annual fee for small scale/landscape photographers
but you still have to have a permit.
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/park-management/applications,-licences-and-permits/filming-and-photography

Northern Territory incl Uluru-Kata Tjuta and Kakadu - various permit
processes/fees:

http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/uluru/visitor-information/permits-commercial.html

http://www.environment.gov.au/parks/permits/kakadu-photography.html

http://www.nretas.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/122724/Commercial-Filming-and-Photography-Guidelines.pdf