birding-aus

Help with Hooded Parrots....

To: John Tongue <>
Subject: Help with Hooded Parrots....
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:38:08 +1000
No problems Kirri,

The Cemetery and Sewage works are virtually side-by-side at Pine Creek, and you
can't actually got in to the Sewage Works - just a series of settling ponds
inside fences, that you can look through, though many of the birds are in the
scrub, along tracks, and overflow channels outside the main ponds.  There are
rough tracks around the outside of the ponds, that it's possible to drive
carefully along, using the car as a mobile bird hide.  We've heard the Cemetery
can also be good for Gouldian Finches, but didn't have them either time we were
there.  Both times, we checked out all round town as well, and though we got
lots of other good things, we didn't get the Parrots.

We were there in the dry of '04, and got best views of the Parrots at Chinaman
Creek just on dusk.  However, we did have a 'fly-over' of them in the scrub
between the Cemetery and Sewage works as well.

We were back again last January, and again had some fly off from the same patch
of scrub, but later, while driving slowly around the outside of the pond
fences, we flushed a group of parrots at the Northwest corner of the ponds.
They then fed in and around the trees and along the tracks about that northwest
corner, and back a little along the rough track which heads from there back
towards Pine Creek.

Just near that corner, we also had a Buff-banded Rail roam across a track, lots
of Crimson Finches, and in the little 'creek' that forms a sort of overflow
from the ponds, there was also a Black Bittern and White-browed Crake.

Hope you get the chance to get back to there to check the place out.

Cheers,
John Tongue
Ulverstone, Tas.