birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 20 Aug 2012 01:30:53 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 19 Aug 2012.

Sat 18 Aug Latham's Snipe Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Latham's Snipe (1) lagoon on right about 300m past new Bald Rock Road gate. My first on the Town Common this season.
Ed Pierce

Wed 15 Aug Squatter Pigeon Abingdon Downs Station, 100 km north of Georgetown
Numerous Squatter Pigeons were seen in several areas of the Station and are considered common by the owners. These individuals appear to be hybrids between peninsulae and scripta with skin colour around eyes a mixture of red and blue (see photo).
Peter Valentine

White-eared Monarch Shannonvale
One female in the garden. Was just sitting on the verandah with Doug Herrington, commenting on the lack of variety in the birdlife here this winter and this appears! Amazing that I've spent so much time looking, without success, for the ones reported in the Julatten area and one turns up on the doorstep. I'm thrilled.
Peter Houston & Doug Herrington

Mon 13 Aug Diamond Dove Upper Ross River Road south along Dam wall
Diamond Dove (8) Perched on gate at southern end of road. Possibly closest sighting to Townsville for many years
Alexandra Canton & Marleen Acton

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.