birding-aus

RFI Mallee Fowl in WA

To: "David and Margaret Merrall" <>
Subject: RFI Mallee Fowl in WA
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:31:31 +1000
Hi Margaret,
We searched all over the place.  There are warning signs all over the South
West, urging people not to turn them into road-kill.

We kept being referred to the Malleefowl Centre at Ongerup - which we did go to
- but we also wanted to see one in the wild.  We'd had earlier reports about
the Fitzgerald River B&B having them roaming around their sheds..... but that
B&B no longer operates!!

Others suggested we try around the Camping area by the Pallingup River, which
we also checked, but couldn't afford the time to camp there, so didn't get onto
any there.

We were directed to an active mound near Ravensthorpe - which we also saw - but
it was the wrong time of year for birds to be working.

Eventually, we fluked onto one crossing the road as we drove back from
Fitzgerald River NP towards Ravensthorpe!!  I reckon you've just got to be at
the right place at the right time - lots of "luck" involved in it....

All the best with the search.....

John Tongue
Ulverstone, Tas.