birding-aus

Big Year Update

To: Paul G Dodd <>, John Weigel <>
Subject: Big Year Update
From: Mick Roderick <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 20:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
Hi John,

Well, you know what my prediction for you is - I won't jinx you and air it
here.

I am in awe that you have reached 671 without seeing a Fuscous Honeyeater! It
must be great to have birds like that still on your "to get" list. There would
be lots of them within an hour's drive from home, so so you needn't worry about
going out of your way down south to get them. I reckon you'll be ok for Painted
HE too. You should be able to peg back 4 tern spp. as well - fancy having
Saunders' Tern and not Little or Fairy Tern by this stage! There are some very
gettable birds left on your list (eg Powerful and Masked Owls, White-browed
Treecreeper, Rufous Scrub-bird) and not having White-throated Needletail
already is a bonus.

Your 2 additions from yesterday's SOSSA trip aren't on your list yet, but my
guesses would be Southern Giant Petrel and Brown Skua(?). Don't forget if
you're still capable of going to sea again in early October you're welcome to
join our Port Stephens / Swansea trips during the Short-tailed Shearwater
migration, with a reasonable chance of some Cookilarias that you're missing
(though you'll pick up Mottled on your way to and from Macca).

Cheers
Mick