birding-aus

Great-billed Heron et al

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Great-billed Heron et al
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:20:27 +1000
G'day,
On Saturday morning I had my best ever and longest views of a Great-billed
Heron. For some that might be a glimpse but I grew up with these birds and
spent many hours poking around mangroves, hunting, fishing and gathering.

This was with Murray Hunt, the Daintree Boatman. He has a bird which is quite
used to his boat and allowed close and prolonged inspection. It was wonderful
to see and hear him make the deep guttural call, although he did not really let
rip with it.

Papuan Frogmouth and four kingfishers too.

A good morning on Mount Lewis also on the Sunday.

Regards,
Alan