birding-aus

Grey Grasswrens and how to boost high frequency hearing

To: <>, <>
Subject: Grey Grasswrens and how to boost high frequency hearing
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 22:26:53 +1000
Gary and others, I'm a novice, but my understanding is: some microphones are
more sensitive to sounds directly ahead (and above) and others have wider pick
up fields, and omnis I think pick up sound equally around the full 360 degrees
(on a 3D plane). An omnidirectional microphone can alert you to the presence of
the bird (which would help if your brother isn't with you) but a directional
microphone will also help him locate it if you're not with him, as the sound
simply gets louder if it is pointed towards the bird (and of course if you move
closer to it). To make an omnidirectional mic directional you can put it in a
parabolic reflector (or a wok!) and wave it around. I haven't tried this yet,
but apparently it works (not only does it cut out some of the sound coming from
the sides but it should also amplify those sounds in front of you.
Alternatively a directional mic waved around.

It is interesting birding with a microphone running, and I imagine in the case
mentioned it would be very handy as those higher frequencies would be
amplified, so people with hearing loss in the upper frequencies might have a
chance of hearing them (but after a while they may not be able to - if they
can). However listening with a mic sounds a bit unnatural, expecially with the
handling noise and footsteps etc. which can be so distracting that I prefer my
own ears most of the time. It is a little disorienting if you are used to using
your ears to locate birds i.e. waving your head around rather than waving a mic
around. Also the danger is if you have louder noises mixed in (such as a flock
of cockatoos screeching as they take off nearby) you can risk adding noise
induced hearing loss to the age related issue (though this is more likely to
affect lower frequencies)!

OK, I was just about to post and then I remembered I had seen something
somewhere, a bit of digging and here it is:
an article on hearing loss and bird sounds on Nathan Pieplow's Earbirding
website: http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/2105
Which then has a link to a review of a very interesting sounding, SongFinder:
http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/1538
And here is the link to the SongFinder website for those who want to go direct:
http://www.nselec.com/

In a nutshell I think it will play back all the sounds above a set frequency
(input by the user) at a lower frequency (also set by user), so you can
actually hear the sounds you would normally hear without any distortion, and
the sounds you can't hear would be at a lower frequency than normal so you can
hear them. Withough looking into it in too much detail it seems a very useful
device - though not cheap. I would be very interested in feedback if anyone
goes down that route. Incidentally the husband of a friend of mine has
developed an app which is supposed to show you what your children will sound
like when they are adults (iGrowUP) - so I wonder then if there is an app like
SongFinder - there's an app for everything these days - might not be far away.

Regards, Arwen
Arwen Blackwood Ximenes