birding-aus

SEQ White-eared Monarch & snake musings

To: "" <>
Subject: SEQ White-eared Monarch & snake musings
From: Roger McNeill <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:07:37 -0700 (PDT)
All,

At least two pairs of White-eared Monarchs have started breeding on my forested
block outside of Brisbane.  They are actively chasing and calling each other
from thicket to thicket and across open patches of lantana and grasslands.  On
Sunday, I even had one sitting on top of the house calling from an old TV
antenna!  This morning, before work, I saw one carrying something in its
mouth...I think it was food, possibly on offer to a female?... it did not
appear to be nesting material.  I mention this because of a recent thread about
the species.

I also have an off topic snake question for those keen to speculate...  On
Saturday i was riding my bike down a forest track and noticed a Marsh Snake
seemingly intact, but dead in the middle of the track.  About 50 meters down
the path I came across another also seemingly intact but very dead.  Upon
closer inspection, both seemed to have crushed heads and a bit of blood on the
neck...but no other damage.  I am sure that this was not people caused as these
are private tracks and they had not been there the day before.

I should also say that I have never seen a Marsh Snake on my block before, but
then seeing two adults, just a few meters down the track from each other with
the same apparent cause of death was curious...any thoughts?

Cheers,

Roger

Roger McNeill
Samford Valley, SEQ