birding-aus

hunting in national parks, NSW and Qld

To: "" <>
Subject: hunting in national parks, NSW and Qld
From: John Wright <>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 16:30:09 +0900
It seems that the politicians concerned are not thinking too much
about the general public with these kinds of issues. Just out to
please their "base". If it were put to a referendum, then it would
lose hands down.

That said, there is an issue of how to control feral species in
national parks and adjacent areas, and a discussion on that alone
might prove educational for both The Shooters and their allies as well
as the environmentalists. There seems to be suspicion on both sides,
so an open, frank debate might be worth it. For example, hunting might
be allowed for several weeks once every 3 years in order to knock down
the feral population of a national park, after which other control
programs could be implemented to try to stop the population bouncing
back. But any such hunting should be licensed, supervised by park
rangers and well-advertised in advance. But this blanket "anyone can
shoot ferals unrestricted and unsupervised at any time in any national
park in NSW & QLD" is crazy, if that is what they are trying to
achieve.