birding-aus

birding and glasses

To: "'Arwen B. Ximenes'" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: birding and glasses
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 14:46:14 +1000
The main problem with glasses is if the relief isn't enough. Can you see the
whole field of view with your reading glasses on?

Adding sunglass lenses on top will require a little more relief, so you'll have
to try that. I've tried two types - the generic ones that physically clip onto
the glasses lenses, and magnetic ones. The former only come in a limited range
of sizes (big and gigantic) and I think they look stupid, plus they seem to be
able to move out of place easily.

I opted for glasses that come with sunglass lenses that clip on with little
magnets. These can only be obtained from the manufacturer because the design of
the magnetic clips is proprietary (I assume). Try to get a spare set when you
get the glasses if you get this type, or at least write down enough information
to let you order more. The manufacturer name wore off my glasses, and it took a
bit of effort to work out what to order.

Mine (sunglass lenses) seem to work ok with my binoculars, but I've been
avoiding using them because I feel they're too dark, and if I want to take them
off it's a pest to find somewhere safe to put them. But I use them for driving,
and they're quite good for that.

I haven't tried multifocals yet, but will have to soon. I'm short sighted, so I
can read the field guide by holding it a few inches from my eyes with glasses
off, or by pushing my glasses to the tip of my nose to reduce their power.

I would have thought multifocals might cause a reduction in image quality if
the binoculars are held over the transition part of the lenses. The results
might therefore depend where the transition is, and the difference in power
between the top and bottom. I.e you might just have to try it to see how it'll
work for you. I suspect that the degradation wouldn't be that bad, but it might
be annoying if a bird is far away.

Your optometrist might be able to rig something up so you can try your
binoculars in the shop, and might be able to adjust the location of the
transition a bit.

Let us know how you go, I'll need to know for myself soon.

Peter Shute