birding-aus

sub-species queries

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: sub-species queries
From: Carl Billingham <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 04:30:50 -0700 (PDT)
I'm still trying to get through the new IOC list and in particular sort out the
sub-species, to be honest I am actually enjoying figuring out what sub-species
I have seen (wish I had taken more notes in the past though on some of the more
common species I have seen;-(

I have noticed that they have two sub-species of Palm Cockatoo on Cape York -
stenolophus and macgillivrayi.  I confess this surprised me as I wouldn't have
thought their range was extensive enough to lead to  much variation.  Does
anybody understand why the split and what sub-species are at Iron Range NP?

I have also picked up that there are now three sub-species of the Brown
Cuckoo-dove in Australia:
race quinkan (Cape York)
race robinsoni (Qld)
race phasianella (e & se Aust)

I realise this species has a fair bit of clinal variation (size and
plumage) down the coastline but was wondering if anybody knows where robinsoni
changes to phasianella?  The description provided in the IOC list is Qld and
e&se Aust respectively which doesnt give me much to go on and I cant find any
reference to robinsoni in HANZAB so it must be based on recent research.

Similarly for Bar-shouldered Dove:
race inexpectata (n Australia, Cape York Pen.)
race humeralis (e Aust)
race headlandi (NW WA)

Any idea where inexpectata merges into humeralis?

Also Australian Magpie, I am interested in knowing the rough extent of
longirostris on the WA coastline, does it include Monkey Mia to the Kimberley?

Cheers,

Carl