birding-aus

Shy Albatross vs White-capped Albatross

To: Sav Saville <>, 'Jeremy O'Wheel' <>
Subject: Shy Albatross vs White-capped Albatross
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 04:57:07 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Sav,

Thanks for your comment. I agree that there is likely huge variation plus the
lack of published evidence (see my comment below). This may be individual
variation - as you said. However, I don't think that it is an age-related
pattern. We get both pattern types in all ages here (off Wollongong and Sydney).
Onley & Scofield (2007) 'Albatrosses, Petrels & Shearwaters of the world' state
that "foraging ranges of breeding birds do not appear to overlap" (p. 135). Do
you know if that is based on evidence? I am pretty sure that steadi (with NZ
bands) were re-trapped off Wollongong (I don't know though what age the birds
were and what time of the year that was - I will ask Lindsay).
de Roy, Jones & Fitter (2008) 'Albatross, their world, their ways' erroneously
swap the culminicorn field mark of the two - see chapters steadi (p. 206) and
cauta (p. 208) under 'identification'

Cheers,

Nikolas

Nikolas Haass