birding-aus

white-tailed Black-cockatoos at Yanchep, WA

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: white-tailed Black-cockatoos at Yanchep, WA
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:29:14 +1000
Janine, you can upload the recordings to soundcloud.com.

Peter Shute

--------------------------
Sent using BlackBerry

________________________________
Sent: Tue Jun 26 19:24:51 2012

Hi all

We saw an enormous flock (at least 500, I estimated 1000) white-tailed
Black-cockatoos flying across the highway in Yanchep NP on Friday 22nd June at
around 3.10pm.  I have a few photos, which suggest Carnaby's, but I also have
calls recorded which suggest Baudin's.  The call has a high-pitched whistling
quality - more of a "wa - witch-ow!" than a "wy-lah".  Listening to both
species' calls on the Morcombe Iphone app today still left me in some doubt -
the flock call of the Carnaby's is possible (and this was a huge flock), but
most of the calls I recorded were of single birds or pairs that had stopped
near us.  Also, some of the birds were seen tearing at the bark of rough-barked
eucalyptus trees - a habit noted for Baudin's (according to Simon Nevill's
Birds of the Greater South West.)

Here is a link to a Picasa album with the best photos I have:
https://picasaweb.google.com/112756569112498336946/PicsWAJune2012  Please
forgive the poor quality of the photos.  I can't figure out a way to upload the
sound recordings, but I can email them to anyone who wants them.

I know the location strongly suggests Carnaby's but the call is really giving
me trouble.  Being from Melbourne I really don't know these birds at all.

Janine
--

ECHIDNA WALKABOUT PO Box 370 Port Melbourne,  Victoria  3207  AUSTRALIA
E:  <>