birding-aus

Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest

To: <>
Subject: Birdpedia - Australia - Weekly Digest
From: "Birdpedia - Australia Info" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 00:05:05 +0930
The following is a digest of Sightings Reported on Birdpedia for the period
Monday, June 18, 2012 to Sunday, June 24, 2012:

Area: SA

Date: Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Location: On our property at Rockleigh

Little Eagle (Hieraaetus morphnoides) (1) Species number 63! The little eagle
was being repeatedly whacked by a raven, which eventually got bored with its
game and flew off.

Little Pied Cormorant (Phalacrocorax melanoleucos) (1) ... and species 64.
After 105mm of rain in the last 3 weeks the ground is sodden and the waterholes
full, but we doubt if the cormorant found any food. 4 weeks ago the waterholes
had been bone dry for months so it is most unlikely would now hold fish.

Diamond Firetail (Stagonopleura guttata) (6) Diamond firetails have been around
most weekends for about 3 months. Maybe they are now resident.

Reported by: Barbara and Peter Bansemer on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Date: Friday, June 22, 2012

Location: Murray Bridge

Straw-necked Ibis (Threskiornis spinicollis) (200+) At 16.15 about 20
Straw-necked Ibis flew in to land on the main island at Rocky Gully Wetland,
Murray Bridge. They were arriving from an easterly direction. Upon scanning the
eastern horizon with binoculars I observed a flock of at least 200 Straw-necked
Ibis, moving from north to south along the line of the river.

Black-winged Stilt (Himantopus himantopus) (40) This is the largest number of
B/W Still that I have seen at Rocky Gully for some time. I was able to count 40
birds but there were probably more hidden by tall vegetation.

Water levels in Rocky Gully were high. I recorded 20 species during a 15 minute
visit.

Reported by: Bob Snell on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Need more information about a sighting? Login and contact the poster directly.

Receive sightings via email or SMS immediately they are posted.

Not a member of Birdpedia? Membership is free and gives you access to
information for over 230 countries.

To sign up go to the Birdpedia Web Site (http://www.birdpedia.com/).

To find out more about Birdpedia and what it can do for you, see 'What is
Birdpedia?'