birding-aus

Don't Talk To the Hunters

To: "Paul" <>, <>
Subject: Don't Talk To the Hunters
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:53:44 +1000
Topknot Pigeons, not Crested Pigeons, were hunted well into the 1970s. I remember finding spent shotgun shells on the ground at Mungo Brush, Myall Lakes National Park, many years back. It was a National Park and the Topknot Pigeon was a protected species but that didn't stop some people. They mean Topknot Pigeon without a doubt. That species provides more 'sport' darting and weaving in and out of the palm trees in flocks. The Crested Pigeon would be a 'sitting duck', I mean a 'sitting pigeon'.

Greg
Dr Greg. P. Clancy
Ecologist and Wildlife Guide
Coutts Crossing NSW 2460