birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 11 Jun 2012 01:30:57 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 10 Jun 2012.

Sat 9 Jun Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, Red-browed Finch Terrick Terrick National Park (Reigels Rock)
My first sightings of either species in the Terricks. Though Red-browed Finches occur along the Murray River near Cohuna, and Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters on similar granite outcrops in the Wedderburn area.
Simon Starr

Fri 8 Jun White-chinned Petrel Pt Addis
2 White-chinned Petrel seen just offshore from Pt Addis moving along coast in south-west direction. Pale bill and white chin patch seen clearly in scope. Also 100's of Fluttering Shearwater, a few White-capped Albatross and a possible White-faced Storm-Petrel with one of the White-chinned Petrel - by comparison a tiny grey & white seabird; not seen well enough for certain ID.
Steven Davidson - The Melbourne Birder

Australian King-Parrot You Yangs (Savannah Walkabout one day tour)
Australian King-Parrot (2) You Yangs. Heard, then one male seen. Flew before photo could be taken, second bird, female flew off with first. Later heard again in another area of the park, about 2km west of first location. First record that we know of for this park.
Paul Hackett, Echidna Walkabout Nature Tours

Eurasian Tree Sparrow (1) Moonee Ponds Creek in Ascot Vale
Not seen in Ascot Vale around my place (and at the Zoo), where they used to be very common, for several years - but they still seem to be hanging on.
Chris Lester

Thu 7 Jun Lewin's Rail Marlo, East Gippsland
Think it got washed up with the floods, wandering around in the dark.
Michelle Martin

Striated Pardalote Edwards Park & Lagoon Oval, Port Melbourne
Striated Pardalote (1) finally! I've been hearing them calling in this park for the last 3 days, but no sighting until today. Clearly seen at the top of one of the plane trees (nearly bare of leaves) in Liardet St.
Janine Duffy

Wed 6 Jun Olive Whistler Chalet Rd, Olinda
One bird foraging with some Yellow Robins in a patch of roadside vegetation I had just disturbed while treating woody weeds.
Greg Cobern

Mon 4 Jun Pink Robin Newport Lakes Park
Pink Robin - female bird, different to the female seen on 8/5/12, more richly colored.
Steve Davidson

Golden Whistler Nott St, near Ingles St cnr, Port Melbourne
time: 10.15 Male bird calling in deciduous street trees for several minutes. Seen quite clearly in almost bare branches.
Janine Duffy, Roger Smith, Martin Maderthaner

Sun 3 Jun Banded Lapwings Connewaree. Blackrock and Bluestone School Roads
30+ Banded Lapwings in paddock on north/west corner. Also 1 Cattle Egret.
Rodney Long

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.