birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Victoria Weekly Update
Date: 4 Jun 2012 01:30:54 +1000

Birdline Victoria

Published sightings for the week ending 3 Jun 2012.

Sun 3 Jun Red-necked Avocet Carmichaels Road West, Yarrawonga
A small flock roosting on the northern side of a wetland by the roadside. A very rare bird in North East Victoria with only a handful of recent records.
Michael Ramsey

Fri 1 Jun Black-faced Cormorant Mornington
Black-faced Cormorant, on rock at Linley point, Fishermans Beach.
Anthea Stubbs

Thu 31 May Brown Thornbill Railway Club Hotel, cnr Raglan & Princes Sts Port Melbourne
At least 5 birds in street tree (some kind of large-leafed non-local eucalypt). I've never seen them in the streets of Port Melbourne before! The railway reserve is close by, but the habitat there isn't ideal Brown Thornbill bush either. Time: 10.45 All flew off towards the south.
Janine Duffy

Little Eagle Pipemakers Park, Maribyrnong River
I was surprised to see an immature Little Eagle just south of Pipemakers park on my ride to work.
Stephen Nutt

Possible Pacific Black Duck X Chestnut Teal hybrid Newport Lakes Park
This odd looking bird was with 4 Chestnut Teal, a Grey Teal, 2 Pacific Black Duck and a Hardhead. Also lerp abundance and much flowering of Spotted Gums has attracted good numbers of White-naped Honeyeater and at least one Yellow-faced HE.
Steve Davidson

Wed 30 May Double-banded Plover Fosters Swamp, Kerang
Two Double-banded Plovers with Red-necked Stints and Red-capped Plovers in ponds on north side.
Malcolm Cousland

Tue 29 May Hooded Robin Rail Trail near Alexandra
A pair of Hooded Robins observed in same area they appeared last year and then disappeared for summer. Very rare in this district. Unfortunately no camera but I got excellent views.
Bob Tate

Lewin's Honeyeater Mt Evelyn
A couple of Lewins at the native plant nursery in Mt Evelyn this morning. Still half a dozen or so present most of the time in my mother's garden at Kalorama. Seems like these birds will be over-wintering in these parts.
Steven Creber

Tree Sparrow Thomastown East Reserve, near Murchison Way (melway 9,E9)
We walked up the track on west side of Darebin Ck. A large flock of Sparrows rose from the mown grass and flew into trees and bushes. I was able to identify at least two Tree Sparrows among the House Sparrows. Tree sparrows are now hard to find in Melbourne suburbs.
Anthea Fleming

Swift Parrot and 4 species of Lorikeets Pearcedale Parade, Broadmeadows
For some weeks now there have been large numbers of Rainbow and Purple-crowned Lorikeets, plus smaller numbers of Musk and Little Lorikeets in the flowering street trees (mostly Spotted Gum) along Pearcedale Parade, as well as in the Kangan Institute carpark and campus courtyard. For the last two mornings at least one Swiftie present also. Also lots of Red and Little Wattlebirds, White-plumed and New Holland Honeyeaters.
Simon Starr

Diamond Firetails South of Euroa
Pair of birds frequenting prickly acacia shrubs near piggery. Very quiet and approachable
Dave Harrison

Mon 28 May Little Grassbird Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne
A 2 hour walk from home in Fitzroy to the gardens and back yielded 44 species, the most surprising being a Little Grassbird in the main RBG ornamental lake.
John Barkla & Alison Street

Cape Barren Goose Cnr Linsell Blvd and Berwick -Cranbourne Rd
Single bird in the paddock (that will be built over soon) close to the main road. (Moderators note: This bird has been reported a few times now in this area).
Greg Hunt

Tue 8 May Grey Goshawk Morphed White Hawkesdale Racecourse Reserve /Hawkesdale Township
Grey Goshawk sighted during recent study at Hawkesdale Racecourse Reserve good to see still in area !
Lawrence Whitehead

Birdline Victoria is sponsored by BirdLife Victoria and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.