birding-aus

FW: Vanellus miles/novaehollandiae

To: birding-aus threads <>, <>
Subject: FW: Vanellus miles/novaehollandiae
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 22:09:49 +1030

Hi John & everyone else,

I was the birder in Cairns that pointed out to you John, the relative abundance
of miles, novaehollandiae, & hybrids, around the local Cairns area some months
ago.

Your memory is correct - hybrids & apparent pure novaehollandiae are seen here
only rarely. John, I have attached an image I've taken up here on the Cairns
Esplanade a couple of years ago of a good hybrid - not sure if it's of much
use, but I thought I'd share it with you in any case... This individual is
still here in the same territory & is paired with an apparent pure miles.

I am heading to far SW Qld in just over a month, so I will check the birds I
see out there & report back to you on my return...

To my ear, they do call differently to one another as well.

Cheers for now,

Martin Cachard,

Cairns,

0428 782 808