birding-aus

Using dogs to find Night Parrots

To: "'Stephen Murray'" <>, "'Andrew Stafford'" <>, " net. au'" <>
Subject: Using dogs to find Night Parrots
From: "Paul G Dodd" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 22:42:39 +1000
I'm not so sure about that Steve, I believe the Western Ground Parrot
Recovery Project uses trained sniffer dogs for surveys.

The difficulty with Night Parrots, I should imagine, is that they are not
necessarily confined to a known locale like the Ground Parrots are.
Presumably it may be possible to use a survey team with dogs in an area
where Night Parrot has most recently been reported.

The question (raised by Jeff Davies), which I believe is perfectly valid, is
whether the Night Parrots are truly nomadic. If they are not, and
"generally" inhabit a particular area (or areas) then the use of dogs is
quite possibly feasible.

Paul Dodd
Docklands, Victoria