birding-aus

Using a dog for Night Parrots

To: "'brian fleming'" <>, "'Dion Hobcroft'" <>, <>
Subject: Using a dog for Night Parrots
From: Stephen Murray <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 17:23:17 +1000
Hi Anthea. "One difficulty would be that one cannot use binoculars on board
an animal - however quietly an old horse stands, it still breathes, and the
movement is enough to disturb the image". If this were true no-one would
take bins on pelagic trips!

The other  problem with  using dogs for Night Parrots is that we don't have
any Night Parrots to train them with. We could assume they smell the same as
a Ground Parrot to a dog...but then you would have to have captive Ground
Parrots to train them with anyway...I don't think that would be too
practical.
Steve Murray