birding-aus

Guided tours Bali Barat

To: Brendan Cook <>
Subject: Guided tours Bali Barat
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:17:38 +1000
Brendan,

You do not need to go to Bali Barat NP to see Bali Starling, if that is the
reason you are heading there. There has been a successful breed and release
program on Nusa Penida (off the coast from Denpasar) running for some years
now, which is run by the Friends of the National Parks Foundation (FNPF).You
probably have a better chance of seeing B M on Nusa Penida than in Bali Barat
NP, from what I have heard. The FNPF also began a breeding program in 2005/6
for the mitchellii ssp. of Rainbow Lorikeet, which has not been seen in the
wild since 1988.

FNPF has a web site at http://www.fnpf.org/. There is also an excellent article
 about their B M project in Birding ASIA Vol 7 2007 pp 55-60

Nusa Penida also offer offers birding in a drier habitat than Bali itself and
is worth a side trip.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford

Sent from my iPad