birding-aus

Night Parrot again

Subject: Night Parrot again
From: Andrew Stafford <>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:51:44 +1000
Hi Richard,

I find your email both funny and mildly offensive at once - specifically your
assertion that I've plagiarised John Huxley's Brisbane Times report from 2007.
Mildly offensive because I was under the strong impression at the time that
Huxley had, in fact, come dangerously close to plagiarising MY original report
on the 2006 Night Parrot specimen in the June 2007 issue of Wingspan! (Which,
due to the quarterly publication's long lead time, was written probably in
April-May of that year.) My opening paragraph for that story reads:

"On Saturday 17 September 2006, Robert "Shorty" Cupitt, the ranger-on-duty of
Diamantina National Park in south-west Queensland, was grading an interior road
of the reserve when the blade of his vehicle exposed the yellow underbelly of a
bird he didn't recognise."

Compare that to Huxley's opening paragraph and judge for yourself:

"THE park ranger Robert "Shorty" Cupitt was repairing a section of track in a
remote part of Diamantina National Park, Queensland, when the blade of his
grader exposed the headless corpse of a bird he could not immediately identify.
The yellow-bellied bird..."

The issue back then was that neither Birds Australia nor the National Night
Parrot network were informed about the discovery of the 2006 bird by the
Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service - contrary to its own management plans
for the species. I'd suggest you read the rest of the original report before
you start throwing (misspelt) accusations of hypocrisy around...

Cheers

Andrew

Austrlian birding friends. I am research more around the Night Parrot. And I
find this on the www.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/national/twitchers-cry-foul-in-case-of-the-deceased-parrot/2007/06/22/1182019367467.html

 It is funny no?

 Why ?

 Well the Age writer has copied same ideas - 'Tasmanian Tiger' and 'Budgie'
from Brisbane Times. 'Dubbed the Tasmanian tiger of the skies, this small,
drab, budgerigar-like bird has fascinated scientists' Naughty naughty! Ha ha ha

 And more even funny - Birds Australia keep this record secret to hide it from
birdwatchers 'hunting the bird down.'

 But at 2007 they told us all when dead bird found in Queensland like chicken
with no head:

Mike Weston, research and conservation manager at Birds Australia, says the
"incredible secrecy" prevented a concerted inquiry that might have yielded
clues to the birds' habits.
"The way it was handled was most disappointing."

 Ha ha ha - I translate from www it is called 'hypocpacy' No?

 If may be proper bird watcher go to look and see - may be now we now no more
about the Night Parrot? NO? May be too many chickens run with no heads and
hiding at their desk?

 Richard