birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 21 May 2012 01:31:01 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 20 May 2012.

Sun 20 May Black Falcon Warnes Farm, 34 16S 138 35E 1' Cell
Black Falcon (1) Came unexpectedly out of nowhere and missed a Crested Pigeon by inches.. about 50m away from where I was standing while trying to photograph a Kestral sitting on old farm machinery! it then flew up and started circling in the house thermal with a some other Kestrals much to their annoyance!
Chris Steeles

Sat 19 May Black Falcon Freeling
Black Falcon (1) Saw what was either 1 or a pair of Black Falcons in the general area of freeling 3 times through-out the day! First two sightings were of birds flying near farmers burning just south of Freeling on the Thiele Hwy, the last sighting was directly over my house as a falcon stirred up the local Galah population at about 5.30 in the afternoon.
Chris Steeles

Thu 17 May Spotted Nightjar Warnes's Scrub
Flushed a pair of Spotted Nightjar from a clearing in our scrub about half an hour before sunset. Got within 6-8 meters from them allowing for excellent views. This is the first time I have seen this species in our scrub.
Michael Warnes

Mon 14 May Eastern Spinebill's Our backyard garden, 11 Bently Court, Happy Valley, Adelaide 5159
Our Grevillias and Eremophilas have just burst into full bloom and these little fellas are dancing from flower to flower and not too bothered about us moving around within 2 meters. Its the first time these schrubs have flowered and the first time these little guys have shown up. Had set the garden up to attactract New Holland Honey Eaters that are plentiful in the area but the Spinebill's are a bonus.
Carmel Tranent

Birdline South Australia is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.