birding-aus

Mother's Day, Brisbane

Subject: Mother's Day, Brisbane
From: Judith L-A <>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 15:21:55 +1000
This being a traditional day-in-the-park, & the weather bringing out masses
of humans, it was a marvel what a day it was for idly sighting raptors, too.

>From our picnic rug on the shore at New Farm Park, we could see two
Brahminy Kites in the trees across the river, on the bank below the school
there (see map-link). One or two of the masses of crows above our heads
occasionally pursued the Brahminies -- one of whom was carrying sticks
among the treetops. http://www.whereis.com/?id=4E7286563137A0

Then on to Nudgee beachfront park, & the bird-hide & mangrove walk (see
sat.pic-link):  Variously, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, immature, sailed along
the beachfront; an Osprey opposite the bird-hide, on low poles near a
Black-winged Stilt sandbank (high tide), flushing them as it flopped into
the water; a Brahminy Kite pursued by crows (!) above the
mangrove/high-tide line; then a beautiful immature Hobby sitting on a
mangrove peak just off the park, unperturbed at being harassed by
Currawongs, Magpies, Miners, etc... just waiting into the twilight (HANZAB
suggests northerly dispersal in autumn, & soaring at dusk for insects).
http://www.whereis.com/?id=4E74244E672020

And... could it be that Spotless Crake might be in the mangroves near the
bird-hide?

--
Judith