birding-aus

Frogs

To: Tony Keene <>
Subject: Frogs
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 10:02:19 +1000
On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 01:38:29AM +0930, Tony Keene wrote:
> I don't normally spam my website on here unless there's something
> useful to the mailing list, but I was wondering if anyone with any
> experience with frogs in Australia would mind casting an eye over
> this lot to see if I've made any howling errors:
> http://www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk/afrogs.html

Your Ornate Frog (Cophixalus ornatus) is a Cane Toad. Its sounds a
spectacular mis-id in terms of scale.  Adult weight for Cophixalus is
about 1 gram and Cane Toads get to 1kg, so in (adult) scale its about
the same as identifying an eagle as a fairy-wren.  But its
not hard to mis-id tiny toads when you first meet them.

Andrew