birding-aus

Victoria's Bird Emblem?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Victoria's Bird Emblem?
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:38:07 +1000
OK which one of you:

misidentified the photo the Fairfax press published in their 72 page "junk-mail" Melbourne Weekly, distribution to East Melbourne in the last week?

Or maybe they did not ask any of you and left it up to their educated journalists to get the correct photo to go with the Conservation story.

Whatever the procedure, the photo is of a Regent Honeyeater, placed next to the photo of Melbourne Zoo's executive director.

They say in this cover story that "It's as cute as a button and our state emblem to boot ... but the Leadbeater's Possum is in danger of extinction. Kathryn Kernohan talks to some of the people fighting to save Victoria's threatened species".

I did not know that the Tasmanian Devil was one of Victoria's threatened species either. Amazing what you can learn from the press.

Cheers

Mike

Prof Michael Tarburton