birding-aus

Which Wandering Albatross?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Which Wandering Albatross?
From: Ashwin Rudder <>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:05:34 +1100
Hi all,

I'd like a hand identifying these two Wandering Albatross to species (or
subspecies depending on your taxonomy beliefs) level, if it's possible. At
the moment I'm struggling to split between gibsoni and exulans, and thought
I'd throw the pics out to some experts to get some more opinions. I have
more photos/bigger crops of both individuals.

The photos were taken mid January 2012, off Lord Howe Island.
Images 1-3 show the first bird
Images 4 and 5 show the second bird, which I neglected to get good shots
of...
Images 6 and 7 show both birds, with the first bird on the right-hand-side
in both pics.
(This information is included in the captions)

The images can be viewed here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/noisypitta/Albatross?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Cheers,