birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 26 Mar 2012 01:30:08 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 25 Mar 2012.

Sun 25 Mar White-bellied Sea-Eagle Stony Creek Nature Reserve
Adult flushed out of a casuarina at close range (less than 10 metres away)
Frank Antram

Sat 24 Mar Superb Parrot Belconnen Town Centre
18.30 hours. 1 Superb Parrot flew across Belconnen Way, near Bunnings, calling. First I've seen for a while.
Frank Antram

Fri 23 Mar Barn Owl West Kambah
Seen perched, in flight, and even on the ground - being mobbed by a group of ravens and magpies along (what I call) Village Creek, behind the Jenke Circuit Buddhist temple and the Indoor Sports Kambah, at 8.25am this morning.
Matthew Frawley (per F Antram)

Thu 22 Mar Cattle Egret Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
Cattle Egrets still around at Kellys, and there are now 4.
Frank Antram

Tue 20 Mar Black-shouldered Kite Callum Brae
Autumn-breeding pair seem to have just laid, or about to. Much mating has been happening.
Julian Robinson

Mon 19 Mar Barn Owl Mort Street, Civic
At around 11am I saw a Barn Owl being mobbed by a large group of ravens and magpies. They flew up Mort Street before the owl landed in a tree on the corner of Elouera St and Northbourne Ave. It continued to be mobbed pretty ferociously even while in the tree.
Peter Murphy

Red-capped Robin Shepherds Lookout
Male Red-capped Robin still present. 10 or more Rainbow Bee-eaters and my first Grey Butcherbird at this site.
Frank Antram

Peregrine Falcon Shepherds Lookout
A Peregrine Falcon flew up onto a dead tree by the lookout and allowed very close views for a minute or so before flying off.
Frank Antram

Grey Currawong, Australian Hobby Scullin ACT
Heard the clinking, head straight up, great way to get your attention early Monday morning! Then it was chased into the backyard by a raven. Still calling 10min later as I was leaving for work I think but the Hobby on the power lines distracted me. [Moderator's note: Grey Currawongs, like Grey Butcherbirds, seem to enter the suburbs at this time of year - usually young birds.]
Alex McLachlan

Sun 18 Mar Diamond Firetail, White-winged Triller, Australian Hobby Callum Brae
Largest flock I've seen of 18 Diamond Firetails including at least 3 juvenile (probably more) at east end on the creek. 1M 1F 1Juv DY WW Triller still present and a juvenile Goldfinch at same location. The resident pair of Black-shouldered Kites were also there; a Hobby flew over the main gate.
Julian Robinson

Sat 17 Mar Peregrine Falcon Kingston ACT
While watching Skyfire Festival aerial activities from 4 Jardine St roof (16 floors up), an adult Peregrine Falcon flew by with probable Noisy Miner prey in claws. Alighted on top of 9 Jardine St Kingston (also 16 floors) and nervously stood on prey for 20 minutes, the prey being out of sight below a rim. Ultimately consumed it after the local Australian Ravens and Currawongs had investigated but decided to steer clear. Many feathers floated between the two buildings until the falcon was finished. Afterwards it took several more minutes before it took off, which I missed. The buildings are about 50 metres apart, so wonderful views were afforded.
Shaun Bagley

White-throated Needletail Florey
Late afternoon...around a dozen White-throated Needletails zooming around overhead....
John Brannan (per F Antram)

White-throated Needletail Mount Taylor
At 17:38 three White-throated Needletails flew within about 50 metres of each other, from somewhere close over the summit of Mt Taylor travelling over me, very rapidly and directly pretty much straight west. I could well have missed others but this time there was no group of them.
Philip Veerman (per F Antram)

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.