birding-aus

Birdline ACT Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline ACT Weekly Update
Date: 19 Mar 2012 01:30:33 +1000

Birdline ACT

Published sightings for the week ending 18 Mar 2012.

Sun 18 Mar Black Falcon Goorooyarroo Nature Park
A male Black Falcon was observed circling over the southern boundary of Goorooyarroo Nature Park at about 10:00 this morning.
PJ Milburn

Sat 17 Mar White-throated Needletail Macgregor
2 or 3 sighted from our back garden (grid ref I12). A first for us in Macgregor.
Roger Williams

Brown Treecreeper, Speckled Warbler, Southern Whiteface, Diamond Firetail Newline Paddocks
On a miserable morning, Newline produced most of its specialities. Brown Treecreeper (3) 1 seen; 2 heard Speckled Warbler 1 Southern Whiteface 3 Diamond Firetail 1
Alastair Smith

Red-capped Robin Shepherds Lookout
1 male Red-capped Robin. Migrating Yellow-faced Honeyeaters moving through constantly in small groups.
Frank Antram

Fri 16 Mar Cattle Egret Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Plant
A single Cattle Egret flew onto pond 1b and also the Blue-billed Duck (1) Male has migrated to pond 3a. First time I have seen Blue-billed in the northern three ponds.
Alastair Smith

Cattle Egret Kelly's Swamp & Jerrabomberra Wetland, Fyshwick
2 Cattle Egret at the Swamp this morning in the company of a Great Egret.
Alastair Smith

Thu 15 Mar Shining Bronze-Cuckoo, Rainbow Bee-eater Shepherds Lookout
20 Rainbow Bee-eaters, maybe more - some appeared to be moving through while others were remaining in the area. 1 Shining Bronze-Cuckoo chasing a Bee-eater. Other signs of migration were small numbers of Red Wattlebirds and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters moving through.
Frank Antram

Wed 14 Mar White-throated Needletail Mt Taylor
There was a flock of White-throated Needletails over Mt Taylor late on Wednesday. I saw them from 7pm, for about half an hour. I found it impossible to count the exact amount. For my observation record I put down 25. Whilst watching the swifts I saw a Black-shouldered Kite as well - a species I haven't seen in this location for a while.
Matthew Frawley

Rainbow Bee-eater Shepherds Lookout
14 Rainbow Bee-eaters
Frank Antram

Tue 13 Mar Red-capped Robin Shepherds Lookout
Just a single male bird at around 4 o'clock,also a pair of Scarlet Robins around 11 20am
Roger Wiliams

Australian Koel Macquarie Oval
A male Koel calling from the top of a eucalypt. The first I've seen or heard for several weeks (since 8/2/12). Although my last record last year of this species at Macquarie was 7/3/11, it seems late for the bird to be calling?
Frank Antram

Pilotbird, Olive Whistler Blundell's Creek and Warks Roads
Fantastic views of a single Olive Whistler as it foraged on the track. A number of Pilotbirds heard with glimpses of one.
Brendan Sheean & Scott Ryan

Mon 12 Mar Whistling Kite Jerrabomberra Wetlands

John Leonard

White-throated Needletail, Satin Bowerbird Callum Brae Nature Reserve
About 100 White-throated Needletails flying languidly above Callum Brae this morning in overcast but not stormy conditions. Also a green Satin Bowerbird, which is only the second time I have observed this species at this location. Following Ian Fraser's report of Rainbow Lorikeets inspecting nest hollows, I counted 8 birds this morning, which is my highest count.
Alastair Smith

Sun 11 Mar Rainbow Bee-eater Fyshwick Sewerage Works
12 bee-eaters at about 12:30pm, initially in the trees along Dairy Rd then later in pine trees inside the fenced compound.
Alison Mackerras and Louise Wangerek

Sun 4 Mar Eastern Koel North Ainslie Primary School
1 young Koel, fed by Red Wattlebirds, Had seen one days before on the senior court yard, possibly same bird.
Susanne Gardiner

Birdline ACT is sponsored by Eremaea Birds and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.