birding-aus

FW: RFI: Eyre Peninsula and Clare

Subject: FW: RFI: Eyre Peninsula and Clare
From: Greg Oakley <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 21:35:24 +1100
Hi Peter,

I have just returned from that area (I'm compiling a trip report now)...

Western Grasswren (Amytornis textilis myall) is fairly easy at Wild Dog
Hill (Whyalla CP), especially in low salt-bush habitat about 50m west of
the hill.
I also had several at Middleback (about 16km north of Whyalla on Iron Knob
road, right near some abandoned railway carriages), including a couple
running across the road.
This was also a great area, with Slender-billed Thornbill (race iredalei),
Crested Bellbird, Redthroat and Southern Whiteface all common.
I don't think you'll get them at Port Augusta Arid Lands BT (although this
is an excellent birding spot - heaps of Chirruping Wedgebill, Rufous
Fieldwren, Elegant Parrot, Mulga Parrot etc).

Telowie Gorge (near Pt Germain) was good for Grey-fronted Honeyeater and
Southern Scrub-robin (and Yellow-footed Rock-wallaby).

Chestnut-rumped Heathwren (Hylacola pyrrhopgia pedleri) - I had 2 at
Alligator Gorge, Mt Remarkable NP (Wilmington) on the highest lookout
track, about 100m from the car park.

Banded Stilt - I had a few at Port Gawler (near Cheetham Salt works).

Not sure about Bassian Thrush - Mt Lofty as Michael suggests is the best
bet,

Cheers,
Greg