birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 27 Feb 2012 01:30:29 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 26 Feb 2012.

Thu 23 Feb Black Bittern Townsville Town Common Conservation Park: near entrance
Black Bittern (1) Flew in low from the golf course and dropped near the first waterhole. Flushed as I approached, flying south over the road, skirting the trees before heading south-west over open ground to the trees near the airport perimeter. 4 species of cuckoo recorded also.
Alexandra Canton

Wed 22 Feb Grey Goshawk Alligator Creek (suburb of Townsville)
Grey Goshawk (White morph). We live on Alligator Creek Road. The Goshawk was sitting on the railing of our back porch when I got home mid-day on Wednesday 22nd Feb, and was still in the yard at the end of the day. Then on Thursday 23rd Feb, I was able to track it down again (from the behaviour of the Kookaburras). It was actually down on the ground halfway down the back hill, but flew up as I approached. I couldn't find evidence of any sort of prey on the ground that it might have just caught. Maybe it isn't 100% fit. You can see in the photo that one wing seems to be sagging a bit (?), but it looked OK after that, and had flown high into an ironbark on the Wednesday.
Sheila Brunskill (per Len and Chris Ezzy)

Emu Helens Hill
Lone bird in the cane fields opposite the above school. Very unusual for this tropical locality 12 km south of Ingham on the Bruce Hwy. ID photo by Ian Boyd
Ian Boyd, Janet Robino. Bill Holmes & Ivor Preston

Pacific Baza Brolga Park Kewarra Beach
Perched in Melaluaca consuming meal
Harry Cassidy

Mon 20 Feb Bush-hen Julatten, Euluma Creek Road
Bush-hen (4) 1 adult + 3 chicks foraging in garden. Observation on private property.
Keith & Lindsay Fisher

Sun 12 Feb Rufous Owl 6km north of Isabella Falls, north of Cooktown
A gorgeous immature female Rufous Owl was observed perched low down in vineforest bordering dry woodland 3km along the McIvor River Rd from Battlecamp Rd. Always a special bird to see given its rarity. A great experience at such close quarters for over 15 minutes.
Martin Cachard

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by Birdlife Northern Queensland and Townsville Region Bird Observers Club and co-ordinated and hosted by Eremaea Birds.