birding-aus

Leg-flagged Curlew Sandpiper - follow-up

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Leg-flagged Curlew Sandpiper - follow-up
From: "Richard Nowotny" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 23:04:19 +1100
Thanks to those who have responded.

Shortly after sending my request I thought to try the magic of Google
(should have thought of it sooner of course).

Up came the following:  "Asia-Pacific Shorebird Network - Leg flags used on
local flyways"

And there it was - black above white = "Chongmin-Dao".

Where?

A: Chongmin-Dao [= Chongming Island, China]

Now, utilizing Wikipedia:

There are several islands of Shanghai governed by
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai> Shanghai city, including the three
larger inhabited islands and a number of uninhabited ones. They are
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alluvial> alluvial islands in the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangtze_River_Delta> Yangtze River Delta in
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China> China.

Chongming Island lies against the northern shore of the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangtze_River> Yangtze River and is an
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alluvial> alluvial island formed by
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silt> silt carried along the river. It gives
the name to  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongming_County> Chongming
County, the only county of  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai>
Shanghai. It is the third largest island in China after
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hainan_Island> Hainan Island and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan> Taiwan.

I have now reported the sighting to  as requested on
the website.

Richard